Installing sunroof in 92-95 hb?

nickf829

I'm lookin to put a sunroof in a 92-95 hb. Power is preferred but im sure that'll be a push to do, so anyone have any good suggestions on a large, preferably sliding sunroof? Or am i stuck with just a push-up/removable roof? Any help is appreciated

nick

Any shop that does that kind of work should be able to install a Spoiler type power sunroof.

im looking to do this myself, shouldn't be any harder then putting a ragtop in, but i just didnt know if they made actual kits or if i have to just find a sunroof from another car and modify it to fit/wire it up

• 2 weeks later...

Dang it. I read this thread just to find out how to do this and how much it would cost. All I found out was that it's as hard to do as installing a rag top and any shop can do it for you. If anyone knows specifics, please post them.

Dang it. I read this thread just to find out how to do this and how much it would cost. All I found out was that it's as hard to do as installing a rag top and any shop can do it for you. If anyone knows specifics, please post them.

the more i look into it, the more i don't think it looks very hard. all youd need is an airnibbler, tape measure, some masking tape, and whatever tool you need to secure the frame in place(sockets, screws, whatever)

http://www.inalfa-roofsystems.com/

the spoiler roof looks like gravy, if you wanna get a little nutty, the folding roof looks cool, like the ones on the mazda 6(i think thats what has it). it would be cool, but i want to put a board/bike rack on the roof, and i think a hole that stretches front to back on the roof would get loud with the crossbars of the rack.

ill install it for anyone for the price a spoiler roof, around 350 bones :) haha

its as simple as cutting around the roof of donor car and cutting a hole in your car , and welding it in and running the switch. what did you think was involved? lol. oh and old wise man once said , measure twice , cut once.

its as simple as cutting around the roof of donor car and cutting a hole in your car , and welding it in and running the switch. what did you think was involved? lol. oh and old wise man once said , measure twice , cut once.

if your talking about welding in a roof panel cut from a car that already has a sunroof, it could be tricky. all roofs have a slight curve to it, chances are the curves won't match, resulting in mudwork, not to mention if theres any warping when your tacking your "graft" in, youll definately need a little more bodywork then youd want. then theres the painting issue, it gets costly even if its just the roof.

i think itd be much easier to buy a kit, cut a hole, measure a few times, cut that sucker out and install the new one, install the relays fuses and switch, then voila instant sunroof

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it with the sunroof from another car, since I have an Accord sunroof just lying around. Plus, a sunroof in a sol is just something to do cuz you can for cheap, since it's really not necessary at all. I just wanna be the only kid to have it.

ANY body work involves body fill thats how its done. theres no such thing as an all metal car. watch the pros , chip foose and boyd coddington for example , whats the first thing they do once car is rust free? cover the entire thing with filler so they can make it straight like an arrow. its how its done. and anyone that knows how to weld will know you dont weld a solid bead on cars , many spot tacks. , than beat them all down , grind them so there below where the finshed car will be and make it non noticeable with filler , thats how its done. and for someone whos done bodywork , a job like this is a cakewalk.

ANY body work involves body fill thats how its done. theres no such thing as an all metal car. watch the pros , chip foose and boyd coddington for example , whats the first thing they do once car is rust free? cover the entire thing with filler so they can make it straight like an arrow. its how its done. and anyone that knows how to weld will know you dont weld a solid bead on cars , many spot tacks. , than beat them all down , grind them so there below where the finshed car will be and make it non noticeable with filler , thats how its done. and for someone whos done bodywork , a job like this is a cakewalk.

like i said previously, its optimal to buy a drop in kit because NO body work is required, cut the roof, drop in, seal and your done, no welding, no grinding, and when no bodywork is required, no paint work is either, duh. saving you at LEAST 2-700$ depending where and how good your paintguy is.

and yes i realize how bodywork is done, and how to weld, you could say ive welded once or twice before, my point was it needs bodywork, bodywork needs paint, paint costs money, therefore you are now going from a 300$ dropin to over a grand with donor, bodyguy, paint guy and risk of getting the wrong bodyguy and having some bodywork crack down the road, not to mention, the dropin will come with a nice clean little harness, fuse and relay, a donor will have a mess of wires, you gotta figure which relay to use and which fuse, its just easier to a put a kit in

like i said previously, its optimal to buy a drop in kit because NO body work is required, cut the roof, drop in, seal and your done, no welding, no grinding, and when no bodywork is required, no paint work is either, duh. saving you at LEAST 2-700$ depending where and how good your paintguy is.

and yes i realize how bodywork is done, and how to weld, you could say ive welded once or twice before, my point was it needs bodywork, bodywork needs paint, paint costs money, therefore you are now going from a 300$ dropin to over a grand with donor, bodyguy, paint guy and risk of getting the wrong bodyguy and having some bodywork crack down the road, not to mention, the dropin will come with a nice clean little harness, fuse and relay, a donor will have a mess of wires, you gotta figure which relay to use and which fuse, its just easier to a put a kit in

Cutting through the roof skin, smoothing the edges, and sealing could be classified under "body work".

dude you can do what he says and have a gay, pop open sunroof , like cavaliers had in 1986 , lol . or you could have a power moonroof made for the car, switch pop right in the dash and every crap , with almost same work involved as what hes talking about doing(although he doesnt seem to realize this). hmmm , kind of no brainer aint it?

Archived