Different front tires and back tires bad?

Hey I was wondering if it is a good idea or a bad idea to get two different brands of tires for the front and back. I can get them alot cheaper this way so I was just wondering. Will it be the same? They will be the same exact size so that wont play a difference.

wanli are cheap. kuhmo a bit more but a better tire , not much better but better. dunlop is best tire you mentioned , but there very soft youl get one summer out of them. tires have a treadwear rating on them. look on the tire it will have 3 or 4 diff ratings on them. you want A at least on all them. than theres a treadwear number , the higher the number the harder the tire and longer it will last. 300 is a good rating. ive seen dunlops as low as 130 ithink it was. like pencil erasers.

ive seen dunlops as low as 130 ithink it was. like pencil erasers.

The OEM Bridgestones on my S2000 were around 120... they lasted about 10k excellent dry grip though.... you could probably squeeze aboout 20k from the Kuhmo Ecsta if you're fairly easy on them, that's pushing it though. If you want something that will last it'll cost a little more but like Cranny said find something in the 300 treadwear range. www.tirerack.com will give the specifics on many tires. The initial cost will be higher, but it's cheaper long term than buying new tires every 15-20k & get a tire that could possibly last 40-50k. Depending on the model of the Dunlop those are probably you're best choice. Cheap tires might be appealing but won't last very long.

if theres no rating on them there real cheap. its like ap says either buy hard ones and they last longer , or soft ones which grip much better but wear out fast.

The only time that'll be a real problem is if you got four-wheel drive. Then it'll be a performance thing. Otherwise, you'd have to have some very unmatched tires to really cause a problem. Still, don't cheap out on tires. That's the first thing I notice about a car is its tires, since I worked in a tire shop and all. Good cars need good tires. Think about it: the only thing that keeps your engine from just making noise are the tires that connect it to the ground. So get good ones.

Edit: And match them. It don't cost that much more. If you're that concerned about money, hold off on buying those batman seat covers for a while and get four decent, matching tires.

The only time that'll be a real problem is if you got four-wheel drive. Then it'll be a performance thing. Otherwise, you'd have to have some very unmatched tires to really cause a problem. Still, don't cheap out on tires. That's the first thing I notice about a car is its tires, since I worked in a tire shop and all. Good cars need good tires. Think about it: the only thing that keeps your engine from just making noise are the tires that connect it to the ground. So get good ones.

Edit: And match them. It don't cost that much more. If you're that concerned about money, hold off on buying those batman seat covers for a while and get four decent, matching tires.

haha...couldnt find em anyways

• 5 weeks later...

Wow.... OF COURSE you can run different tires, I know plenty of great drivers with great cars that run different tires, but... Not because certain ones are cheaper, its for the performance factor... If you get different tires just because you cant afford the good tires, dont do it...

I run different tires in the front and rear but only because I like how it handles that way and it made the ride a bit more comfy and gave the car a more aggressive stance.

If you ride unmatched tires Im sure everything will be fine, just make sure its not a super cheap set-up and also adjust PSI to adjust handling characteristics.

Archived