ATTN: Those with Tein S tech springs

you know...i would be very wary of buying discounted name brands off e-bay. ever since i was talking to this accident investigator:

Kid who owned a BMW 325i bought some Nitto tires off e-bay for real cheap. Had a friend install them on his car and off he went. As him and 2 of his friends took a joy ride that night, the front tire popped dropping a corner of his car. With his inexperience with driving, he slammed on the brakes at speeds above 80mph. The momentum of his car shifted to the front tire that popped and rolled his car. The driver and 2 passengers were not wearing their seatbelts and subsequently tossed from the car.

The investigator found this out: the company he has been watching closely selling aftermarket parts had sold the kid the tires. when looking at the tire that had popped, he found that the tire tread had seperated from the rest of the tire...underneath a flap of the tread he found what looked like an imprint of a leaf as well as no metal mesh/lining. the investigator went to the kid's house and talked with his mom. The kid had bought 5 tires so they confiscated the 5th tire which was in the garage. The tires the kid bought were not Nitto tires. They found out that the tires were made in China from a mold because all 5 tires had the same serial number. Basically, what happens is a mold is made, and then the mold is spun at a high rate as rubber/cheap tire material is poured in. Somewhere in this process a leaf had gotten in the mixture and basically caused the tire to pop. The accident could have also been prevented since the friend who mounted the tires had told the investigator that he found it odd that instead of a pop sound signifying that the wheel is attached to the rim, it made a thunk. When the leaf within the tire caused the tread to seperate, the slamming of the brakes made the flat tire fly right off the rim causing the rim to dig right into the freeway causing the rollover.

So...yah when it comes to stuff off e-bay i'd think twice. hehe, i have plenty more stories about random aftermarket parts that'll make anyone think twice about what exactly they are doing to their cars.

Archived