Sunroof ?

spinal

I know this isn't the ACCORD section but i posted a tread in the ACCORD forums and have had no reply and with every tread i've posted in the civic forums i've gotten excellent advice so here's a copy of my accord tread PLz give advice.....

Got a quick question.. I have a 99 LX w/o sunroof and my friend has a 2000 EX (both sedans) that he's partin out and he said i could have the sunroof system. My question is can I somehow install his sunroof in my LX? I know i'd have to cut and fabricate but would it be worth the time and trouble??? Feedback and Advice Plz!!

• 2 weeks later...

haha I dont need to look at his avatar to know hes new here, he obviously doesnt know what SoLles thinks is easy to install might be a hell of alot harder for an average mechanic Im just hoping that this guy knows what hes doin and doesnt end up driving with a garbage bag taped to his roof because he got in over his head :crazy:

you need all wiring and switches out of the other accord of course. take some measurments as to how far the sunroof(where metal meets glass , right at edge of sunroof) is from the windshield and rear window and side runners down roofline on the 00. you need to cut the sunroof right out leaving yourself about 3-4" from the edge where glass meets metal all the way around. zipcut wheels work awsome. than you need to mark the measurments you took off the 00 on the roof of your car. be very accurate. take headliner out of your car(fun) , and make sure your only cutting what needs to go to get it in. now given the fact you measured to the edge(where metal meets glass) the hole you cut in your 99 roof is smaller than the 3-4" you left on edge of the sunroof(basically you want your hole to be about half inch bigger than glass all the way around). now you can try and drop in your sunroof through the hole you cut to fit it in place. your 3-4" overhang you left will allow it to sit on the roof by itself overlapping your roof metal. check your meaurments again and make sure its exactly center. now take it back out of the hole and cut some of the 3-4" overhang off the sunroof you left leaving 1" all the way around. get it as perfect as you can obviously. once your happy taking it in and out measuring that its gonna sit perfect center. grind the paint off the roof of your car about 2" from the edge of your hole leaving nice clean surface to weld to. drill holes about every 2" all the way around about 1/2" from edge of you hole on your roof. 3/8" holes good enough. now for the final time , youl be placing sunroof in place from insde the car having someone or something holding it in place. from the outside lookin down through holes you want the sunroof metal off other car to be flush up tight with every hole.weld the sunroof to your roof by filling the holes you made with weld(spotwelding basically). now from inside the car you can tack weld every inch all the way around the edges where they meet. once done grind the spot welds on the outside flat with the roof but dont grind too much away. doing it this way will make body work very easy , just use filler to cover your flat holes after grinding them down to be same height as your original roof. and depending on how good your measurments were your hole should line up with the edge of the sunroof(where glass meets metal) perfectly. very little body fill needed if done right. get the headliner out of the 00 as well if i were you much easier to work with than cutting your old one. wiring wise should be pretty easy. the switch assembly should pop right in the hole that your dash isnt utilizing where the suroof switch would be. and it wouldnt suprise me a lick if the wiring for the roof is in your car although it hasnt got one. but if not , run necessary wires nothin to it.

Archived