Merry Christmas From Supraforums.com

Supraredliner

what makes a eclipse gsx so great?

the active aero is kinda cool...i mean, it automatically adjusts according to speed and all that. sure the "average" person would never understand a 3000gt in full...but then again the "average" person doesn't have a 3000gt!

who wouldn't want a car thats got good looks, twin turbo's and twin intercoolers, a very nice interior, and to top it all off its all wheel drive. to me this is like the perfect girl with the perfect personality, who cares if she has a few extra pounds...she makes up for it with sweet perfectness. :wub:

LMAO

that was good. :D

The Eclipse is AWD also. It's already been proven that single turbo's can produce more power. I had my choice between the two already and i'm sure you can guess which one I picked. I'm all about going fast and from what I've seen the 3000GT just wouldn't handle the kind of power I wanted to make without blowing the tranny to pieces.

that's true that the tt transfer cases are pretty crapty, but i think if you take care of your car, you should see better results with a 3000gt TT than with most popular 'modding' cars. hell...the eclipse got its looks from the 3000gts. :)

yeah, a huge single turbo can produce lots of power, but the point of the tt is to reduce turbo lag.

The biggest problem I have with the 3000GT besides weight is that it is a V6.

That's 1.5L per bank which isn't going to spool any type of large turbo fast. Your basically limited to what size of turbo you can put on there and still have a decent power band. Converting it over to a single turbo would be damn near it impossible with the size left in the engine compartment. I really wish they would of made it an inline 6 like the supra's. That way you could use all 3L to spool it fast.

I really think it was lack of options that prompted them to use two turbo's. They figured they could max out two small turbo's that would still spool decent and add some hp. It's not a seqential setup like a supra, so lag wasn't really what this type of setup was fixing. Both turbo's are the same size.

just my thoughts.

I didn't know the transfer cases were weak.

When my friends tranny went out, the gears ate a hole through the side of the casing. I've heard this is pretty common.

He basically ended up having to give it away after that because of what it was going to cost to get a new tranny for it.

GSX - everything you've said is relevant. sounds like you really did some research. :) as far as the transmissions go, lots of people are messing with replacement kormex trannys instead of the crapty stock getrags. i believe there is a recall out for the transfer cases also. as far as the turbos go, twins were probably the only practical way for a V6. i forget the family tree of the v6 engine (model 6G72), but i'm pretty sure it had been used before and i guess mitsu didn't feel like changing it too much. of course, the vr4 is the only 6G72 that is twin turbo'd. i dunno, with that crap aside, the vr4 is still a great car for dragging, and the weight of the car seems to help with stability in straightline high-speed stuff. of course, the weight and 4wd make it a little less than par for road courses.

honda_civicex95 - yep, the dr650's are big boys. :) i haven't actually seen them in person, inside the car, but they are huge compared to the stock 9b's (i think they are 9b's). i mean, the turbos are hardly visible on the 3000gts, so i can imagine how tight of a fit the big upgrades are.

and another note on the 3000gt weight. obviously, like i've said before, the non turbo models aren't really that heavy (with the exception of some SL's), but in japan, the GTO's of course get it much nicer than american 3000gt's. the GTO Twin Turbo's (not called VR4s) are just like our VR4s. but they also have the GTO MR (not sure what it stands for) which is a twin turbo awd car without the various bells and whistles that add weight. so the MR loses a couple hundred pounds i believe.

Archived