burning oil

mord3th

i have a 93 ex with nearly 200k mi. it has been burning oil ever since it got it (about 8k mi ago). ive cleaned the oil pan and rechecked it. ive checked my driveway, parking lots, etc for oil-but nothing. its burning it. i go thru about a quart a month. it seems to get worse when the vtec kicks in. Any ideas? btw i have a massive crack in my exhaust manifold, but i am replacing it with a performance header on wednesday. would this have anything to do with it?

thx

yeah i really would like to get a new engine, but i simply dont have the money right now. plus i cant change it myself so its going to run me near over 1k for a new engine.

take it to the shop they will tell you. it's hard to diagnose just by saying it's burning oil. have you checked the spark plugs at all?

and it wont cost you that much for a new engine. only like 500 bucks

yeah its got new ngk plugs. i should prolly take them out and check them. do you think the cracked manifold would have anything to do with it? someone told me to check my piston rings...

a cracked manifold would cause exaust fumes to do that. piston rings might do that too. just take it to a shop and have it looked at. see if you can get a place that will diagnose it for cheap.

i have a 93 ex with nearly 200k mi. it has been burning oil ever since it got it (about 8k mi ago). ive cleaned the oil pan and rechecked it. ive checked my driveway, parking lots, etc for oil-but nothing. its burning it. i go thru about a quart a month. it seems to get worse when the vtec kicks in. Any ideas? btw i have a massive crack in my exhaust manifold, but i am replacing it with a performance header on wednesday. would this have anything to do with it?

thx

check your valve train, oil might be getting through there if you have no leaks.

depending on the abuse its taken over the years , its most likely valve seals. new engine? why would you tell him that when his engine is fine. throw new rings , seals and bearings in it. if engine still runs fine its as simple as honing it out and scratching a new crosshatch pattern in cyl. walls(a must imo). bang new engine or freshened as i would say. might cost you few hundred bucks if you do it yourself.

Archived