wheel prep

Humphries

im painting my rims black from the black they are right now

i want to know what i need to do that is needed for prepping.

b16vtec- what kind of paint or how did you paint your rims because they look GOOOOOD.

help me out fools

I got my stuff from O'Reiley's. They have a black primer and then I got Duplicolor high gloss black paint. It kind of has some metallic in it. Just take your time and sand them down before you paint and wipe of the dust really well from sanding. Take your time with it. And don't be in a hurry to stick them back on....let them dry for a couple of hours.

Don't forget to tape off your tires too. I have seen some people use playing cards to stick between the wheel and tire, but I had to tape off my entire lip to keep it polished looking.

they may peel or change color in the future. You can have it done professionally but that is going to cost you an arm and a leg. if you do take that route, you are prob better off getting new rims that come in black chrome or whatever black you want.

they may peel or change color in the future. You can have it done professionally but that is going to cost you an arm and a leg. if you do take that route, you are prob better off getting new rims that come in black chrome or whatever black you want.

If you prep them right you won't have any problems with them peeling. and if you use a good clearcoat they shouldn't fade. Wheels are not usually in direct sunlight so you won't get as much UV rays to fade them out as the rest of your car.

Archived