Cold Idle Problem??

drummr6

I have a '93 Honda Civic 1.5 fuel injected with 5 speed. When I start the car it runs fine unless I try to drive it. As soon as I touch the gas pedal the check engine light comes on and it will not accelerate properly. Like as the RPM rises its being choked... However, if you let the engine reach operating temp. and then shut it off and restart, the light goes out and it runs fine with smooth acceleration. I checked for codes; there are none present. Any ideas???

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

There's a cold start injector that helps put extra fuel into the engine when it runs cold... when the engine gets up to temp it shuts off... you might want to try looking at that... i don't know if your car has one or not but if it's fuel injected it should... if it's not working then it will cause it to run to lean when it's cold...

ok, well... now even when it gets to operating temp, it still runs like crap with the same problem with acceleration. fuel injector cleaner didnt do anything.

could someone refer me to somewhere that shows how to check for codes? maybe i didn't do it right the first time

Archived