Regarding Rattling Noise

mediset

Hi

I am new to this forum. I own a 94,Civic,Manual TX. I hear a rattling noise from the front. Initially I thought that might be the license plate. But thats not it.

The noise is heard when shifter is in neutral and when I slightly push the accelerator, and it doesnt come up if I rev up the engine more. It seems like to come in a narrow rpm range. Also the noise comes up when taking slow turns and usually in the second gear. Any suggestions.

Turn car on and put in neutral but keep clutch depressed.

Does it make the noise?

Yes - You have a knock.

No - Next question.

Release clutch.

Does it make the noise?

Yes - Input shaft bearing (mainshaft bearing in case) is bad.

No - No clue.

Thanks for the resp. There is a rattling noise sometimes when the clutch is depressed and the accelerator is pushed little. The same rattling noise comes up when in usually second gear and when the clutch is released. It sounds like a plate or sth vibrating. The noise though not much but is distinguishable. I read in few forums saying that it may be the heatshield. Any quick and easy suggested remedy for knock.

Thanks again

mediset

i doubt its knock.

could be any number of a things that rattle at that rpm range. in my car, at about 4000 rpm in 5th gear i get a rattle in the shift linkage.

get a friend to rev etc while you go listen. pinpoint where the sound comes from and use process of elimination.

Archived