swap questions...

delsol161

well, i've hit a road block. i have a '94 sol S which i've been trying to build. finally, my poor d15 is smoking bad. i think it'd be cheaper to buy a used motor and swap it, rather than fussing with my 1.5. here's my question. which motor should i go with? i'm looking at B18 (LS), or maybe even GS-R. H22, and finally an '05 RSX motor. the biggest issue is the amount of money to put into the swap itself. the rsx motor is most tmepting... but everything else sounds nice too. any suggestions? pros/cons? thanks

I think you actually have those in order from cheapest to most expensive. K series swap (RSX) will cost a lot of money. H22 is a couple hundred pounds heavier than the B series so you'll brakes and handling will suffer. B18C would be the best of the options that you chose. IMO. However, have you considered swapping in a B16A3? Since this motor comes in some del sols, it would probably be the easiest to swap. Plus you'd have DOHC VTec and a nice platform to build on later. I love my B16A3 Delsol and would reccomend considering that route (also would be cheaper than a B18C1).

i considered a b16 swap. but i'm unsure. i want as much all motor power as i can get. however, i could do a b16 turbo. not sure yet. i thought of maybe doing the LS swap, and adding a VTEC head. LS/VTEC would be fun :) i wonder if i'd need mounts, axels, linkage & such to do the b16. prolly do, knowing my luck.

b16 is a fairly straight forward swap. talk to xxscaxx too, he did a b16 siR swap and was happy w/ it. its all bout want your plans are to do w/ it performance wise to help decide the engine, also money.

if money is an issue than do a mini me swap or d15b7 vtec motor or zc

check out hmotorsonline

or call up gspeedcorp or jarcocorp for the prices.

nah. if money is an issue, but you still have HP goals, save your money. don't invest in a mini-me swap because you'll waste money building an engine that doesn't produce as much power as a B18A. a CR-VTEC fits fine in a del Sol, but it's not a cheap engine to build. just save your money. let me know your budget and I'll help you along.

thx bird. my goal is an LS. then turboing that @ some point. i have only seen LSs for 500 or more, w/o the rest of the stuff for a swap. i think saving up enough for the swap and a turbo kit from a local shop is my best bet.

too much :laugh:

j/k...with taxes it was like 34k.

since you want an LS just get that and turbo it. they are good motors to turbo anyways and you will be really happy with it.

if you still want to turbo, id add the VTEC head first. LS/VTEC swap. i dont know too much about them but bigbird could probably point you in the right direction with that because he has a CR-VTEC swap and is probably more knowledgable with the conversion. i know you cant just add a vtec head onto a nonvtec block so you need certain things to have it work first. i think someone on the board has a ls/vtec swap for sale actually.

Edit: burplecrx had the ls/vtec swap for sale. im not sure if he still does but here is the thread. PM him if your interested.

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=9669

thx man. i appreciate the help. i bet it's pricie

just looked at his thread. lol, i'd have to sell my sol to afford the swap. sadly... i need everything. his motor is well built too. man, i wish i had that kinda cash on hand! :)

Actually the new Vettes are about 43,000 base price. The new 06 Z06 is around 90,000 but now comes with 605hp and competes more with the Viper.

Also, if you took the 8k that you saved by getting an STI instead of a Vette, and dumped that 8k into the STI, the Vette would have no chance of keeping up. I think for a few grand you can get a kit that makes 500whp in the STI.

what do the new vettes run stock? 8k into the STi would be ridiculous haha. im eventually going with a turbo upgrade and things like that. my goal is the 11's. there are a lot of kits that can yeild 500 awhp, its just that when you get that high reliability is low and you have to start building the internals. STi motors can handle around 380 awhp safely and reliably on the stock block. this guy just put a gt35r kit on his sti (huge friggin turbo) and he is eating vettes alive. take a look:

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29648

i could have gotten a cobra if i wanted. my uncle has a connection with ford so i could have gotten a good deal on one, i just dont really like ford.

Archived