can someone explain headers to me?

CivicSam

1. A Header is the Exhaust pipe coming right out of the block of your motor. it has 4 Pipes that go into 1 or 2 pipes which goes into your exhaust.

2. Its Purpose is to let all the exhaust gases the motor makes come out and not stay trapped in the motor.

3. Nuff said.

O By the way buy a Manual for your car. explains everything

A properly designed header will not only increase the flow of exhaust gas from the combustion chamber but also works as a vacuum to "suck" more exhaust from combustion chamber. The actual term used is exhaust gas scavenging. The stock exhaust manifold does a great job of bouncing spent exhaust gases around in the manifold itself degreasing flow from the combustion chamber. Most companies are developing the 4-2-1 type of headers because they theoretically are able to scavenge better because of the design. In v8 cars an "X-pipe" is also commonly used to help promote better scavenging. In a basic sense, on side of the motor is helping to create a vacuum to suck exhaust gas from the other, and vice versa, similar to a 4-2-1 design header. I'm not quite sure he firing order of a honda motor (I think 1-3-4-2) but as an example, while cylinder 1 is entering the compression stroke, cylinder 4 is entering the exhaust stroke. In turn cylinder 1 is creating a vacuum to pull exhaust gas from cylinder 4. Sorry i can't be a lot of help with 4 cylinder theory, but hopefully this will give you a good idea.

Ok, let's see if I understand.

I have an engine with it's various cylanders in various stages of the combustion process. While one is taking in fuel, another is combusting, a third is in the process of having the residue or exhaust sucked out while a fourth is creating a vacuum for this very process. As one finishes it's process it moves on to the next process as do each cylander resulting in the combusting process. The header I assume helps suck the exhaust from the last cylander to contain the exhaust and leads to my exhaust pipe eventually out of my car's ass. Along the way, the exhaust is bounced around my engine to also help grease it or lubricate it???? That part I don't get.

Also, then how do after market headers differ from stock headers in design and how does this help to remove exhaust?

As I understand, removing the exhaust more effectively will help improve the performance of my engine, but I'm not exactly sure why? Does it work better if the vacuum is created faster?

Two pistons are in compression, two are in destroke(as I call it). The gases go out of the header, through the cat, then out of the exhaust. The header is just another road on the way to the city.

Fabrication companies are really breaking through right now with 4 cylinder Honda header design. 4-2-1 will give you more low and mid range power. 4-1 will give you good top end power. Besides the configuration of the header, other things such as angle of bends, pipe sizing in different areas, and collector are taken into consideration.

Civic Sam you have the right Idea. In a four stroke motor for every cycle the piston fires you have two "up" strokes and two "down" strokes. You start with the pison at TDC (Top Dead Center), both exhaust and intake valves are closed, the combustion chamber is full of fuel and the spark ignites it and pushes the cylinder down for the exhaust stroke. Now the exhaust valve/s are open, cylinder pushes exhaust gases out of the chamber as it returns to TDC and exhaust valve/s close. Now Intake valve/s open, piston is traveling down on the compression stroke pulling air and fuel into the combustion chamber, intake valve/s close and the piston returns to TDC you are back to fuel in the chamber both valves closed ready to fire. During opening and closing the Valves "overlap" or what you call "lobe separation". While Cylinder 1 exhaust valve is still closing Cylinder 3 valve is starting to open, creating that vacuum effect. A header works by using vacuum created by opposing cylinders to help pull spend exhaust gases from another.

To answer you question about what would be the best choice, sometimes asking the mfg of other parts your car uses (ex. cam type, head type, etc.) what would be the best choice is the way to go. For all around performance in general, equal length headers (if made for your car) are a good choice, also the 4-2-1 type headers are supposed to be the most efficient for scavenging.

The most power debate is between SMSP (1 month least waiting period) and DTR (no wait). Both headers run at least $1,000. On a stock ITR, the DTR adds a shade under 20whp. Not sure about the SMSP. The DC JDM 4-1 (Mugen ripoff) makes 10 less whp than the DTR but cost from $300-$400.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

i didnt know i was dead....actually i did cause if u read my post i said i did and i think it explains it pretty good....can people just mind there own business on forums some times.....i mean what was the point of that post vs mine......its just my opinion and not every statement needs to have another one behind it bashing the idea...just....fuk i dont know...but just try not to act so ass-ish....cause thats what ruins forums....not trying to start anything but this is pointed towards everyone

well...i know the search engine is here...but....just think of this

if everyone always uses the search function...there wont be any new threads....just things like......i cant get a screw out my trunk to change my taillight....get what im saying...i wont bring anything back anymore..... ill leave it up to justin timerlake to do that for me

Archived