what if i ran dual exhaults on a del sol

tallhamer88

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK. I'm doing this to try and convince you not to get duals, and to show why not to get them to anyone else who might want to. all the ricers are doing it. and for everyone else who loves del sols, I'm sorry you had to see this:

duals9.jpg

duals8.jpg

duals7.jpg

duals6.jpg

duals5.jpg

duals4.jpg

duals3.jpg

duals2.jpg

duals.jpg

I'll give this guy credit, it doesn't look as bad as the rest:

lowdelsol.jpg

I want to see the rest of that sol. it looks like it would be cool, I like the color. that is the only exception I've seen for dual exhaust on a sol, mostly because it looks pretty stock. I really wish I could find a bumper like that and that kind of garnish so that my rear end on my sol looked like that, I love where the license plate is. its so clean.

Im not really mattered with Speed lol my car is slow anyway its the base S model but i do have an intake and stuff on it im just worried about whether i put just say 1.5 inch pipe on it whether it would bog out because of no back pressure. and i am always wondering how it would sound becasue i have a single exhaust with a 2 inch pipe and it dont sound how i want it i want it more of a deep sound instead of the higher bumble bee sound

you have an s model, your car doesnt even have the power to top itself out. going dual wont help you out any. if you want looks, get a muffler and hang it. and just have one pipe connected. its the allows you to have the dual exhaust look, but the performance of the siingle exhaust. it sounds kinda gay - and prolyl will look gay when its cold outside, and just look gay in general - but its the only way you get the beest of what you want out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Dual exhausts on an inline engine, are stupid.

I'm new to he import performance crown, but I have to go with the "no productive way to do it" crowd. You can never get the performance out of a dual set up that you would get with a good single (on a naturally aspirated engine). However, I felt obligated to speak up on the blanket statement about duals on any inline engine. Large inline sixes can definatley benifit from properly built dual systems. A good three into one dual exit header with properly sized pipes is the best way to get a hopped up I6 to really breath. I have built a ton of Fords and Jeeps with Clifford Performance 3 into 1 dual exit headers, and I still swear by them.

You just reinforced my point. A three in to one dual exit header on a straight six is no different functionally than the two headers on a V6. It runs three cylinders (ususally 1,3,&5) into one collector and the other three (usually 2,4,&6) into the other. Your two exhaust pipes then come straight off of these two collectors. Hence the terms "3 into 1 - dual exit". In effect, it is two headers (though they may be connected via a single mounting flange). The runners of the collector banks do not flow together, see how it's the same as two headers on a V6?

I didn't say that all I6 engines needed dual exhaust. I was just pointing out the fact that the generalization about dual exhaust on any inline engine was incorrect. A properly designed single system on an I6 may very well do the job. But why would any one assume that dual exhaust on, let's say a 4.0L I6 would not be a good idea? Would you not be tempted to run dual exhaust on a large V6 (say a 3.8)? The effect is exactly the same with a dual exit header on an I6! Ofcourse, too little back pressure can be bad too! So, even on a vehicle with only one header; dual exhaust can sometimes be a good idea. However, I don't see it being a good idea on a 1.6L NA engine, unless you use really small pipe. And it would be a lot easier to run a single system with bigger pipe.

Hey... don't know where the "smilie" came from, that was supose to say 3.8!

Also, let me add this; saying that dual exhaust only works with two headers isn't true either. Even if a system ran into one collector, through 12 inches of 2" pipe, and then Y'd into dual 1 1/2's - it would flow better that the same system using that single 2" all the way back!

it has a lot to do with pipe size. sure, two 1.5" pipes will flow better than one 2" pipe, obviously. but one 3" pipe will flow better than two 1.5" pipes, and with less weight and only one pipe to route to the muffler, and it only needs one muffler. I agree that two exhaust pipes can be used on an I6 engine, but a single pipe makes more sense, since they all exit on one side already.

I agree completely. It just really depends on the specifics of the application. For example; The last jeep I built had a 4.7 I6 with a supercharger. I used a 3-1/DE header and dual 2 1/4" pipes. I sure didn't want to run a single 4 1/2". I was just making a point against mis-informed generalisations.

Archived