How many ft/lbs of torque

OSOLMIO

How many foot pounds of torque is spec'd for aftermarket "tuner" Del Sol lug nuts? Also, I had a guy tell me years ago to put grease on the threads of the studs. I just figured it was because they were made from poor quality metal with a lot of iron. Does any one grease up their lug nuts or studs and if so what type of grease do you use?

the lugs themselves should have a torque rating on the package, if not id use stock torque of 90 ft/ftlbs.

As far as grease it is more of an issue w/ open end lugs and the studs becoming corroded past the threads. Personally I use a light film of grease (red) just to coat the threads to keep them from corroding.

the lugs themselves should have a torque rating on the package, if not id use stock torque of 90 ft/ftlbs.

As far as grease it is more of an issue w/ open end lugs and the studs becoming corroded past the threads. Personally I use a light film of grease (red) just to coat the threads to keep them from corroding.

THANKS. They are open end so I will take your advice and grease them. The lugs are aftermarket cylindrical ones with the internal hex key. I am not sure if they are reliable or safe but will give them a try. The car will get out of the paint shop maybe this Friday so we will finally have a complete car to cruise around Portland/Vanc right when the Cruise In season is coming to an end. The upholsterer took three weeks, body ding and dent filling and prepping has taken about as long. And as you know it rained like a bitch today and I think our summer is over.

They make a specific material just for wheel lugs. Walk into any part store and ask for it.

The name escapes me but I have a gigantic bucket of the crap in my garage. Just a metallic grease that prevents both the lug and the nut from corroding and sticking on you.

Definitely grease them.

I had my car stored away for about a year, then when I went to rotate the tires I couldnt get the lugs off. I torqued them on myself to 90 lbs and they were frozen on so much that it bent my star wrench, then eventually destroyed the key for my lugs. Called up the company I ordered my wheels from to get a new key, and they discontinued that style a few years back. Luckily I found the last one in Texas somewhere sitting on the back of a shelf.

They make a specific material just for wheel lugs. Walk into any part store and ask for it.

The name escapes me but I have a gigantic bucket of the crap in my garage. Just a metallic grease that prevents both the lug and the nut from corroding and sticking on you.

Gigantic bucket of crap..I eat that stuff all day long from my boss! Seriously thanks. I was a little hesitant but there will be little worse that having them rusted on when trying to change a flat out in the middle of nowhere....other than having them come off while driving.

Definitely grease them.

I had my car stored away for about a year, then when I went to rotate the tires I couldnt get the lugs off. I torqued them on myself to 90 lbs and they were frozen on so much that it bent my star wrench, then eventually destroyed the key for my lugs. Called up the company I ordered my wheels from to get a new key, and they discontinued that style a few years back. Luckily I found the last one in Texas somewhere sitting on the back of a shelf.

I was wonderign about getting a spare key. For all I know the key is made from some soft pot metal or cheap aluminum alloy and will round out the first time I try to take them off or put them on afterall 90 lbs is a lot of torque.

anti seize?

Permatex%AE%20Anti-Seize%20Lubricant.jpg

Yeah it wouldnt hurt to get two. I had two and the first one just rusted to crap without even getting wet.

The one I have has me a little concerned as there is some play or slop when I put the key into the center of the lug nut, I can see it rounding off the corners of the key, especially if it is of substandard material. I am sure it is from China so it could be made of anything from the metal liner of a nuclear cooling tower painted with lead paint over cadmium to plastic with a metal tape outer covering to look like steel. They are always trying to get one over on us and dispose of their waste that way.

Absolutely use anti-seize and NEVER, ever use oil or even dry graphite on your studs or lug nuts. Lubricants can lead to over-torquing, stretching, and in the end, snapping studs once under load. It also makes the fastener much more likely to loose torque over time which can be very "bad" for you and your car.

If you ever have to use a lubricant or solvent (WD40, PB Blaster, etc...) to lossen your nuts, always make sure to clean that junk off before you re-torque them. This is generally true for most fasteners as well. Unless specified, torque values given are for dry fasteners, NO lube.

The only exception to the above is if the manufacturer specifies lube for their lugs. In that case, they will have also spec'd a lower torque to compensate for the lube.

It's usually a bad deal all the way around to lube your nuts. laugh.gif

Archived