tranny rebuild?

my synchros are grinding when i go into 3rd and 4th gear and i was wondering if im going to have to get the tranny completly rebuilt or if i can just get the synchros replaced? it on a b16 with 60000 miles on it. and i had to have custom shift linkage made because i swaped the engine into my delsol would this be a part of the problem? is the grinding my gears or just something else? thanks for any helpful input.

is this grinding only on fast shifts? if so, move your seat a click or 2 forward. youd be amazed the difference it makes in your timing. it was suggested to me at the drag strip and it worked :thumbsup: 60k miles is pretty damn low for a tranny.

it does it almost all of the time. if i take like 5 seconds to shift then it doesnt grind.

and if i get it fixed are they going to have to pull out the engine and tranny?

today i went for a 100 mile drive and after about 20 miles 3rd gear started grinding really bad. i mean so bad that i had to skip 3rd and go straight to 4th. its starting to get really bad. even if i would let the rpm's drop down 1,000 and shift to 3rd it would still grind really loud, even trying to easy it in really slow made it grind just alot longer then if i went fast. i hope this tranny doesnt break. :(

can i just get the synchros replaced? or do i have to completly rebuild the tranny?

If you're going to go through the trouble of replacing the synchros, go ahead and rebuild the whole thing. The tranny is already apart.

it shouldnt need to be completly rebuilt it only has 60,000 miles on it i was just going to have the synchros replaced and a new clutch, throw out bearing and that stuff. unless thats what you mean by rebuild.

No, what I mean is to replace the synchros, the tranny needs to be disassembled. That would be a good time to check all your bearings, gears, and shafts. If they show any wear, replace them. Why wait since the tranny is already apart?

well yeah anything that looks like its starting to wear im going to replace but if anything is starting to wear it would only be 3rd and 4th gear. i hope.....

• 2 weeks later...

Your tranny has dogteeth that engage together to lock into each gear... if these teeth are to badly worn out... then you will grind a lot and it will be harder to engage the teeth... So yea, chances are all you have to do is change the scyncros and you will be just fine... Tranny rebuilds are easy on manuals and you can drop the tranny pretty easy without removing the engine just make sure you support the engine before disconnecting the tranny mount...

i started double clutching so now it doesnt grind as much, every once in a while it just makes a little 1/100th of a second scratch noise but usualy it doesnt. but i still cant down shift into 3rd otherwise it still grinds real bad. how far apart do i have to take apart the tranny to repalce the synchros?

You'll probly end up taking almost the whole thing apart, just make sure you keep everything in order, it will make the rebuild process a lot easier... Only hard part is getting all the pieces back in and lining up properly and getting the shift forks back on properly... you could always buy a tranny rebuild book for your tranny if you start doubting yourself

i have never been inside a honda tranny so i would never try to do this myself. my freinds-freind works on stuff like this but hes a cranker so i just give him 30 bucks he buys his stuff and he instantly becomes a perfectionist mechanic :D who does really good jobs. i had him do the tranny in a old vw fox we have and that was 4+ years ago, and it still works great plus it only costed 100 bucks for him to work on it, plus parts. :)

Archived