Auto tranny sol question

Spacemonkey71

This is 'sol #4 and my 1st auto tranny. It's a 1997 S. Yesterday I get into it at the grocery store, start the car, and YANK, (hmmm), YANK(crap), YANK(....oh crap!!!!) , the damn gear stick WON'T MOVE! :o

There's a silly little slot next to the shifter on the driver's side that is some kind of lock that must have gotten triggered. Luckily I had a spare key in my wallet so I could stab one into this slot, and start the car with the other. THEN i could move it into Reverse, Drive, Park. :crazy:

It scared the living crap out of me and I want to know how to disable this diabolical device PERMANENTLY. I don't remember messing with this thing, so HOW did it get tripped? Is this normal for auto tranny 'sols ? This was SOOO not cool. :mad:

btw, how rare are 1997 del sols with auto tranny's? the sticky at the top said that auto tranny's were hard to find. I know they only made 4995 del sols in 1997. Mine is #227 (from the VIN), how many of those could have been autos? Does this increase the uniqueness of the car so I shouldn't convert to manual (which is a labor intensive wallet eater...). ok, manual = faster car. But if it was about speed, I wouldn't have bought another del sol :D

manual del sol's are easier to come by than auto del sol's. however, auto del sol's aren't that hard to come by either.

as for the shift lock thing... that's just a pain in the ass. had the same thing in my crx back when it was still automatic. used to do the same thing to me, and i only had one key for the car (although i later realized that it didn't matter WHAT key i used).

Archived