suede over leather

amateurteg

amateurteg here again. i was planning on redoing my interior soon. with like:

1. wrap the back seat and front seats, or just wrap the back and get racing seats up front.

2. either get a new replacement carpet or dye my carpet blue.

3. get diamond plate floor mats with aqua neons under the seats.

4. get a brushed alumnium trim kit.

5. get the lighted gauges.

6. and i wanted to paint my interior a glossy white, but all my friends who did taht, now its kinda peeling off, but i found a website that has some good paint. a store called wicked weapon. I dont konw if anybody has any knowledge of this compnay.

But what i really wanted to talk about is taht when i get my seats wrapped, should i got suede or leather?? i know that leather gets hotter quicker and colder quicker than suede, but i know that leather is easier to clean than suede. Is there a big price difference? or does it depend on the grade of leather you use??? Any help will be appreciated :) .

1. might as well wrap the front and back. since you're keeping your backseat in the car, you're not looking to do a lot of serious racing with the car (well, mostly just this list provides that notion) to need race seats.

2. never died a carpet. but if your carpet is in good condition, i wouldn't bother getting new.

3. not interested in either, so no point providing an opinion

4. if you want to paint your interior white, i'd say to not get the trim kit.

6. the wicked weapon place you provided won't provide better paint than you can pick up at walmart. get some krylon and/or wheel paint for harder surfaces, and some paint with a little flex in it for softer surfaces of your interior.

Last, you might as well just go with vinyl on the seats. Although leather seats are uncomfortable, IMO, and vinyl will be no better... but it seems that you are not looking to spend too much money, so leather seats just wouldn't look right with the rest of the modifications you have planned...:-/

well true, im not going to be doing any serious racing, but i like the image and feel of the racing seats. But would you choose vinyl over suede??? because isnt vinyl just like a cheap imitation leather?? is suede more expensive??

2. also i dont know wehre to get carpet dye.i dont wanna get some cheap dye that will color other things when it gets wet because it wont stick, i found a full "electric blue" replacement molded carpet for my car for like 169$ on ebay, but i thought since my carpet is in good condition, that i wouldnt need to get a new one.

3. these are mainly for looks. nobody has them in my group. haha

4. well what i was wanting to do was paint the majority of my car white, like the dash, center console. the pillars and athe roof, and just accent with blue in a few places, and i wanted to put that brushed alumnium dash trim kit on ebay for like my air vents and like control buttons on my door.

6. i really dont care what paint i get, as long as it wont rub and chip off. My frinds car did taht, and it looks like crap. and the wicked weapon set comes with like, the sanders, dullers, prep equipment, primer, paint, and a protective coat, so i thought taht it would be better if it would stick, and also i dont want it to fade, if the walmart stuff can do that, then thatd be great.

haha, yea, i really dont have an unlimited fund ya know, its kinda tight, so ill try to get the most for what i have. haha. thankx for the advice CRG

i'd go with a cloth wrap... suede may get pricey, but if you wanted to go with suede, i'd suggest doing something along the lines of recaro srd's. (suede on the bolsters and cloth in the middle)... suede tends to look dirty when it's not, and i doubt you'd want that look at a car show. if you were to prefer leather, i'd say to go with vinyl. you should be able to find some that look close to leather, and since i imagine you'd be doing them in a color rather than black or so...

carpet dye, i have no clue. try going to a local upholstery shop and ask them. a friend of mine works at one around here, which is why i could help out with the upholstering of the seats...

for the interior, i wouldn't want to spend $27 or whatever that place charged for some spray paint and sand paper. just head to walmart, autozone, or a local paint shop and pick up some krylon, wheel paint, and/or flex paint. just take care of it, and you should be able to make it last longer.

well then id probably go with a different type cloth wrap than what my seats came in, i really just want a different textured cloth. Well, my friend has an 02 sentra, and i like his cloth, it's kind of a mesh material, and i would probably do mine in that, or id go with vinyl, but i heard vinyl cracks and you kinda slide in the seat??? i dont know though.

on carpet dye. i really wouldnt mind buying the replacement carpet, but the thing is it doesnt give you the piece for the top of the carpet( the piece thats behine the rear seats, like on top, where your third brake light and your two audio mids are, that little piece above the rear seats) and then id probably have to dye that piece, and it probably wouldnt turn out te same color, and so i thought itd be better if i just dyed the carpet one solid color. Ill check around town. I wouldnt imagine it being that hard. Haha, its just dye.

ok, well for the interior thats a big ? for me. Im not sure what to do now. Would some flex paint probably work just as good, and stick on and not chip easily? Also im worried about fading. and would armorall protectant wipes damage it? thats what i want to know before i start spraying my interior.

Also, im curious, about how much would it cost at your friends shop to wrap two front seats and a rear seat in a 4 door integra with just ordinary traditional basic cloth??

for the piece behind the rear seats, you can always have that wrapped in the same material as your seats if you don't want to go with a dye.

as for vinyl... i'm sure that if you take care of it, you won"t have problems.

flex paint will chip on a hard surface. only use it for softer surfaces.

since you said you have friends with painted interiors, find out how they clean theirs. i can't help you there.

as for the cost, no idea.

well the back piece beihine the seats are like the carpet material. so i dont know if id wrap that in the same stuff as the seats.

I may do vinyl on the sides and cloth in the center, but i think it may look kinda tacky.

And my dash is soft, its kinda like a cushion, but i also want to paint my doors also, which is like hard plastic, theres no cushion, so are you saying taht flex paint will crack on these surfaces.,??

well the back piece beihine the seats are like the carpet material. so i dont know if id wrap that in the same stuff as the seats.

I may do vinyl on the sides and cloth in the center, but i think it may look kinda tacky.

And my dash is soft, its kinda like a cushion, but i also want to paint my doors also, which is like hard plastic, theres no cushion, so are you saying taht flex paint will crack on these surfaces.,??

yeah, use flex paint on the dash if you're going to go that route, and krylon or wheel paint on your panels.

what is wheel paint?? will it stick better than flex paint?? if so, then i may put that on my door panels and such as long as the two paints are the same hue. But when i do do this, would you still prefer to sand down the interior and make sure no chemical is on it, kinda like painting a car??

well, i found a place in town taht does custom upholstery, im probably going to go with vinyl. He said for the price you can't beat it, and it is almost like leather, just not as soft and the texture is a little off, but he told me that he could do my two front seats and my back seat for about $550. Any color and as many colors in any design i want,. He said 175 for each front and 200 for the back. Also he told me that wheel paint and flex paint will just chip and peel off because its not very adhesive, he didn't suggest painting the interior at all because of all the armorall and chemicals that's been on it. He said if anything, use vinyl spray paint. Does this make sense???

yep, sure does!

However, if you sand down every little bit of your'e interior starting with a thick harsh grit and finishing with an extremely fine grit, it would stick just fine. But you need a sandable primer, a can of spray paint, and a clear coat spray. Don't paint anything softer than the plastic on the dash or your door panels, Don't attempt to paint over airbags.

I've also heard of people using a heavy grit sandpaper, then smearing bondo on top of that, making the surface slightly harder that it would normally be, then sanding the bondo with a fine grit sand paper, priming, sanding again, painting, and following with a clear coat.

Also, they make cleaners that will remove buildup left by other cleaning products.

Archived