03 Accord Headlight dimming

hondabummer

I've had a bunch of Hondas over the years, although this was the first new one (03 Accord EXV6) I've had since 93. Mostly, this one is good, but there are an awful lot of small problems that just shouldn't be. At the least, I think Honda should make it right, instead they have abandoned the customer. When I took delivery, the front seat wouldn't latch (still doesn't). Since then the paint is peeling off the plastic bumpers, the transmission has been recalled, the rear shocks squeak loudly, the dash rattles, and now the headlights go from dim to bright randomly while driving. Honda says this is a 'normal' condition. I say enough already. With 21K miles, it's a miserable ride. If you're thinking about a new Honda based on past experience, I'd say look elsewhere. Things have changed at Honda. Not only has quality suffered, but Honda will do nothing (*not a damn thing*) to help you. Just my 2 cents, lotsa luck sucker! :(

Sounds like you have a bad one. The transmission is a known Honda fault, and as of yet they've not found a fix. You get any more little problems with that car, and you might qualify for replacement under the Lemon Law. Not sure how it works in your state. You didn't mention it, but do you have a warranty? If so, it would be Hondas responsibility to replace any and all problems at their cost. Might have to go higher up than your local dealer to get these corrected.

I made some quick measurements on my way home tonight. The system voltage varies from 12.5 to 14.78 volts. For most of the trip, it went between 12.70 and 14.5 volts. It will change suddenly between extremes, sometimes several times over, say, 30 seconds. While 14.5 volts is only about 13% higher than 12.75, it represents nearly 30% increase in power (as power is a function of volts squared). A sudden 30% increase in electrical power is more than just noticable. It would be comical if I weren't the one that had to drive this rat.

For simplicity, we'll assume the impedance of the lighting filaments is constant, although we know there is variation with applied voltage (filament temperature). The variation will be minor, so let's just say the headlight impedance is 'R'.

I=V/R

P=V*I = V*V/R (watts)

Archived