who makes a good free-air subwoofer

I know you all have seen these guys with like 8 subs in their car. Have you ever noticed that some are installed in a reversed, down firing position? Who makes a good subwoofer for that particular setup. I checked out Focal but they're asking big bucks for their subs, any comments would be appreciated.

Also has anyone seen Hifonics Colossus speaker, if you can even call it a speaker. It looks like a massive hunk of magnet and metal. They claim that it produces the output of eighteen 18" subs, that's just insane.

"Have you ever noticed that some are installed in a reversed, down firing position? Who makes a good subwoofer for that particular setup. "

-well i've been to a local car show and this one old integra owner ripped out the back seat and used the rest of the area as his MASSIVE sub/amp/wiring setup. Of course i couldn't see the amps but all I could see was the subs and the sub setup was in this zigzag shaped and some of the subs were firing upwards and downwards...not exactly upwards and downwards but like diagonally upwards/downwards. The subs were JL Audio and it was crazy loud. I stuck my head in the car and my beautifully combed hair was in ruined! It was blowing wind inside the cabin like it was a really windy day so... did that answer your question?

Archived