type r rods or forged, help?

fast_96GSR

i have a 96 GSR and i plan on building it and running it NA for a year or two but then boosting it. Should i save some money and buy type r rods cause i heard they can hold up alot of crap, or should i spend the extra and get a set of eagle or somthing right away? thanks for the help

you need rods that can hold up to a specific torque rating. upgrading to type R in my opinion wont do any good. afterall honda didnt really have torque in mind when designing the motors :laugh: .

find some good aftermarkets. SSR might have more information for you on aftermarket rods. if not just call around to reputable dealers, ask them their experiences.

james

Type R rods aren't any stronger than any other B series rod. They are just made to handle high RPM better.

If you will be on these rods for a year or two, I'd replace them when you go turbo just because of fatigue.

I don't care for Eagle rods very much, they don't like to go above 8,000.

Crower, Manley, Pauter, etc are good high end rods.

RM has the only "low end" rods I would use. Crowers Econo billets are just rebadged Eagles.

PM me if you need any prices.

I planned on never running more than 10psi. Thats makes alot of sense, that the type r rods only handle higher rpm. How much do a nive set of crower rods run? I am probably going to have to get different pistons too, i baught SRP forged pistons, but the compression ratio is like 10:1 or somthin like that. With low amounts of boost do you think these will be ok? Do you think i should ust stay NA. I am pretty undecided. Thanks for all your guys help

10:1 is fine for 10psi.

If you want to stay NA, definitely go higher. 11-13:1 is good depending on where you live and how capable yourtuner is.

I carry CP Pistons and RM rods.

Archived