more on my 81 Accord LX....

tractor pimp

Well...I have yet decided to do a half way rebuild. This car has 180k on the clock. Last time it ran was about in 99 or 00. So it has been sitting for a while. What would yall recommend doing to make this car reliable? Should I get the motor rebuilt? Last time it ran it was skipping really really bad. I do know that it could have been many things wrong with it. But should I have the tranny looked at? It is a 5 speed. Should I purchase a new clutch? How much would it put me back to have the motor rebuilt? my big question though is what should i start replacing and rebuilding to make this car efficient. This is supposed to be my first car and it will be traveling some long distances to some places. How much would it put me back to make this car PERFECT for another 50k miles. Any good replies are very apprecitated.

Well, if you rebuild the motor, you will have to replace the clutch. Being that it's a Honda, there is nothing preventing it from running for another 180k. If you don't feel you need to rebuild, first thing would obviously be to change all the fluids, that includes draining the tranny and refilling with Honda MTF, ignition parts, timing belt, and your seals and gaskets. If you replace the rear main, you'll have the tranny off and might as well replace the clutch. Providing that makes it purr like a kitten, you should be good for another 60k or so before you would have to do most of that again, minus the timing belt and clutch. If it's burning oil, it would probably be in your best interest to rebuil at least partially, rings and valve seals are the minimum.

Thats great. Another 180k. I like that but I am on a really tight budget of $600 because im about to sell my sisters Nissan for that much and thats all the money i have. But today im going to see how much a new motor is going to set me back from Advance Auto. I really want to buy a rebuild kit and have my machinist man do everything. And if i am correct, will i need to get over sized rings? I think i do that was a stupid question lol. BTW just a thought of mine...would anybody on the internet have any performance parts for the EK1?

Having never rebuilt a motor I cannot give you specifics. Obviously though you'll want to strip the block, have the cylinders honed, you might need large rings, I don't honestly know.

ok i went to Advance today. It would cost me $1200 to buy a new motor when i turn in the old one. im sitting there sayin "COT f*cking DAMN!!!!" I can have the motor rebuit for about 500 and get a new head for $177. How good is that? I just came to the realization that im gonna have to rebuild the carb and put on new vacuum hoses. So I think im coming to about $700 if i really do a major rebuild and other things. BTW should i carry the tranny to a tranny place to get looked at? And old man had it before my uncle so i know it should be ok but i really want to make sure its gonna be good for another 100k. Cuz when i get thru ridin this car all over the place its gonna have 280k lol.

I'd just go for the rebuild, Honda motors are strogn, no need for a new one. Rebuilding the carb too, that sucks. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have the tranny looked at, but if it was maintained properly, it should be fine. If you can get it runnin good again for under a grand, I'd say you're doin pretty good.

Cool another 200k...whew thats a good many miles. Sounding good to me. REALLY GOOD! And then I can do all of that under $700. That right there just made my day. I appreciate yall helping me out with this issue. AND yet another thought i had again. lol can i put in a h22 engine so i can get some good hella power? I know there will have to be modification. I have a feeling im gonna really like this car.

Archived