16valve 4cylinder Woes

My engine is a 92 16 valve with 170,000 miles on the clock. When I take the oil cap off I have pressure like the exhaust is coming out of the hole. Compression checked good. Took head off and everything looks fine.Engine runs great but some oil is coming out front crank seal probably from pressure. PCV is working fine. Anyone ever have this problem? It just started all of a sudden. Thanks for any ideas. Happy motoring.

• 2 months later...

I am still working on this problem. I replaced the rings and the head gasket but I still have the same problem. Next step is to try to find someone at honda that has encountered this problem. Only other (pumps) in the block are the water pump and the oil pump.

something is causing major crankcase pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

here are some ideas to start with:

check all vaccum lines for cracks or disconnected

replace pcv valve(its only like $2) and check pcv hoses for cracks, seperation, or debris inside such as dust and oil(clean inside of hose with pipe cleaner of appropriate size)

replace crank seal

replace valve seals(this should have been done a while ago anyway with that mileage)

check EGR assembly for proper operation

run a computer diagnostics

recheck PCV assembly

if none of these work, take it to an experienced Honda mechanic; dealers will rape you on labor and unneccesary parts, use it only as a last resort

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help everyone. Turns out that my problem is not a problem at all. Some engines are designed to be pressurized this way. Since I work mainly on domestic V8 engines I did not know this.

If anyone reading this could do me a favor, the next time you have your car running, take off the oil cap and see if there is pressure coming out.

So far I have checked a nissan 4 cyl and it also had the same condition.

Thanks again and let me know what you find.

If you take the oil cap off you will hear the pressure coming out as well as feel it. You will not have oil spraying out though.

It will be just as if your exhaust pipe was flowing into your engine block and out of the oil cap hole.

I am guessing it has something to do with oiling the top end of the engine but I could be wrong.

Archived