Turboing Prelude

Sleepy_PreLuDe

Ok i'm a noobie to this forum and basically to cars right now as well. I plan on turboing my prelude but i like to be sure i know exactly what i'm doing before i do it!

First Off I know making a turbo prelude isn't such a great idea! I cant help it I love my prelude and I love turbo =) I considered supercharging and i know thats probably the most dependable path for instant hp, but once again i love the turbo =)

Ok on to what i need help on. I dont want to blow my prelude engine! I love my car and i want to keep it and i know you'll probably say i should just go n/a if i want to keep it! but i believe i can keep my prelude nice and healthy with a turbo!

So to avoid blowing my engine, when going turbo its better to have a lower compression piston's and run higher level boost, than keep the high compression of the h22a and run low boost. correct me if i'm wrong please. What i need suggestions on to help my car run the best are what type of low compression pistons do you all recommend? also i hear the ring lands are the weakest part of the prelude engine, so are there any suggestions to what i should get? I should also resleeve my block and get new rods? Is there a good site where i can get these parts cheap? and which are the best?

Fuel is also required to be upgraded along with some tuning. I plan on getting ems and a greddy turbo kit. What turbo kit do you think will run the best for a prelude and is reliable and powerful?

Few more questions i need help on. The turbo kit comes with its own intake and intercooler. Do you suggest upgrading the parts? Lets say will the AEM cold air go with the greddy turbo kit?

Also i need suggestions on what type of exhaust i should get? I planned on getting maybe an APEXI N1 or Greddy EVO2 exhaust. Are there any suggestions to any better exhaust that will run better with the turbo?

I also love the blow off valve, which do you suggest will sound the best!

I know i asked alot of questions and basically i need to know everything i need to prepare my car to be turbo charged. I want my car to run healthy and powerful! Please someone help me with everything that is basically needed to be upgraded in order to perform well! My goal is 300+hp! plz help!

300+hp is alot of power, if your looking for those kind of numbers, i'd say build your own kit and dont get ripped off w/ a pre-manufactured kits. Get a big turbo like a t4, its gonna have alot of lag, but thats probably what your gonna need to get that high of hp. personally i like the greddy type s or hks bov's best. checkout rank1racing.com for a manifold, kinda pricey but well worth it. probably rc 550cc or 650cc injectors, thers alot more, but im bored of typing, and cant think straight this late at night.

300hp out of a f/i h22?

Thats gonna be alot of money....not for the hp but to keep you crap from blowing up.

I understand your love of h22s and turbos, but its really not that good of an idea...

i think "sexyh22" has the right idea as far as supercharging it.

also you can make a really mean h22 going n/a...its already a strong motor....got the compression, the only thing I don't like is how big and heavy the prelude is...but you seem to love them so....

edit: just my 2 cents :)

yea, i s/c mine, and i couldnt be happier, right now im at about 222hp or so, but i have hondata, so i just gotta play around w/ the tuning and get it running right, i should be able to push around 230hp which is enough for me, then you can do things like cams or cam gears, and get even closer to your goal. also depending on your altitude, you'll probably get better hp numbers than i am. SC>Turbo for h22's

lightened flywheel, clutch, fuel, hondata, intake, fulle exhaust....

base hp of h22 is like 165 i think, plus im at mile high elevation, i dont think your gonna get better numbers than that out of a turbo.

I just love the turbo sunction over the s/c belt.

what does that mean?!?

h22? dont you have a 97 prelude according to your signature? those come with h22a and should have atleast 195 hp =/ well nice grades! I planned on going supercharger before. What i meant was the noise, the turbo pulling in air and the blow off valve over the screeching of the belt from a supercharger.

the turbo pulling in air and the blow off valve over the screeching of the belt from a supercharger.

never heard it called a screeching before, sounds like a nice whine to me, but do what you gotta do, good luck with your car.

Ok i'm a noobie to this forum and basically to cars right now as well. I plan on turboing my prelude but i like to be sure i know exactly what i'm doing before i do it!

First Off I know making a turbo prelude isn't such a great idea! I cant help it I love my prelude and I love turbo =) I considered supercharging and i know thats probably the most dependable path for instant hp, but once again i love the turbo =)

Ok on to what i need help on. I dont want to blow my prelude engine! I love my car and i want to keep it and i know you'll probably say i should just go n/a if i want to keep it! but i believe i can keep my prelude nice and healthy with a turbo!

So to avoid blowing my engine, when going turbo its better to have a lower compression piston's and run higher level boost, than keep the high compression of the h22a and run low boost. correct me if i'm wrong please. What i need suggestions on to help my car run the best are what type of low compression pistons do you all recommend? also i hear the ring lands are the weakest part of the prelude engine, so are there any suggestions to what i should get? I should also resleeve my block and get new rods? Is there a good site where i can get these parts cheap? and which are the best?

Fuel is also required to be upgraded along with some tuning. I plan on getting ems and a greddy turbo kit. What turbo kit do you think will run the best for a prelude and is reliable and powerful?

Few more questions i need help on. The turbo kit comes with its own intake and intercooler. Do you suggest upgrading the parts? Lets say will the AEM cold air go with the greddy turbo kit?

Also i need suggestions on what type of exhaust i should get? I planned on getting maybe an APEXI N1 or Greddy EVO2 exhaust. Are there any suggestions to any better exhaust that will run better with the turbo?

I also love the blow off valve, which do you suggest will sound the best!

I know i asked alot of questions and basically i need to know everything i need to prepare my car to be turbo charged. I want my car to run healthy and powerful! Please someone help me with everything that is basically needed to be upgraded in order to perform well! My goal is 300+hp! plz help!

:D Hello, yea you can turbo your Lude but there are some things you have to change like the compression if you have 10:0.1 you need to lower it down to about 8:5.1 or 9:0.1 at max second is your head gasket which should be replaced with an aftermarket gasket unless your running small amounts of boost 4-8psi but if your looking at 20-30lbs like me you need an aftermarket head gasket. H22 motors have a very strong bottom end but usually only good for small boost if you go higher you want to start thinking about getting the block sleeved,aftermarket rods,new bearings,pistons and rings it wont hurt to use a afermarket oil pump gear since they tend to break under high boost. other than that your turbo kit should supply injectors and pretty much anything else you should need. good luck to you

• 4 weeks later...

those pre-manufactured turbo kits are all figured out, according to turbos, fuel maps..etc. everyone says turboing a H22 is stupid cuz the compression is too high they are wrong, if you run like 8psi you'll be ok and for protection id invest in a black gaurd and a cosmetic head gasket both around 100$ and will help with detonating. as for a cheap way instead of a full management try a piggy back like the SAFC2 there realiable and work well. than if you still arent happy then upgrade internals and fuel and ECU.

cool... thx ! =] butttt on my later post... yes my lude is gone =[ i miss it! grrrrr! i end up with an 05 red evo 8 =/ soo yeah its already turbo... but i miss my prelude... 10 years from now.. if neone has an 01 lude plz keep it in good condition1 i'll buy it! =]

• 2 weeks later...

lol i like the evo i want another lude later on tho =] I'd trade but that'd be pointless cuz i woulda jsut bought a used one instead... I just couldnt find a nice one around my area at the time so i went with the evo =] I finally got my stuff from my car today from the junk yard tho ... took long enough but its cool =] Now its all fun in the Evo =] But i miss the lude =[ I'll get me another one later on =]

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived