Help with Rear Speakers Purchase/Installation

Spudt24

Honestly, I know close to nothing about speakers as far as specifics or how to's. I need to know what kind of speakers I need to replace my stock 95 Civic rear speakers that I blew out, ie...brand, size (6x9s),...watts? If someone could tell me me a fairly detailed description in of what I should purchase, and if possible a brief installation procedure, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks.

Well it all depends on what type of sound you are looking for. If you are just looking for something to just say that you have something, then I would suggest maybe pioneer or sony. If you are looking for a all around good quality replacement , then I would suggest Alpine or rockford. One more thing, to me aftermarket speakers sound better with it just running from a good cd deck, not a amp. Just something to consider when you up grade.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not saying that you should buy from crutchfield.com but you should check out there list of speaker specs for your car. They have a huge chart and it will tell you what size to get. Your'e either looking at 6x9's or 6x8's in the back and 5 3/4 in the front. Make sure the depth of the speaker allows about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of room for the speaker to breath, you'll get more thump that way. But make sure through crutchfield. Then head over to etronics.com, by far the cheapest prices, yet wonderful quality. I got my two Type-R alpine 10's and a 4-channel V12 amp for just under 400 dollars. Have it installed professionally, I wouldn't try to install anything electrical on my own and most established businesses offer a limited installation warranty. So if anything screws up you might be able to blame it on them.

Oh yeah, I neglected to mention this but don't mess with 2-way or 3-way speakers just get a nice 100 watt 2-way amp and buy some component speakers. wire the tweaters to the stock head unit and the woofer cones to the amp. All of which should be done professionally. This way you'll get all the bass you want from the back speakers, your'e mids will be at the floor in the doors and you can put the tweeters at ear level on the dash. Exceptional sound quality right there. Alpine is probably the best brand on the market now, and if you go through etronics.com they will also be the cheapest (price wise).

It is true that crutchfield can help you on these issues, but I feel if you know what you are doing then why spend that type of money paying someone to install your system. Thats crazy and also I feel that 3 ways are a better all around quality sound. It gives you every note in the song, not just bass and loud talking or singing. And this is a lot cheeper that a componet system.

If the speakers he's replacing are in the back they need to be all bass, the highs won't sound that good coming from the back. If he truly wants to envelope himslef in the music, he needs thump in the back (component 6x9's will do the job) and the highs right in front of him since they don't carry that well. The mids will be down low so he won't have to worry about the sound quality down there, as long as they can put out some noise. It's up to him what he wants, but 3 ways arent meant for power or thump, they're made to get the most out of a small amplifier (i.e. a stock cd player). Believe me, it might cost a little more, even on etronics.com, but you'll hear the difference. Never put highs behind you, especially when the mids won't be able to cover their own territory.

But see what you fail to realize is that If you put too much bass in a car and if you have subs on top of that, its going to drown out every word of your stereo. Instead of sounding as good as if you were sitting in the studio when they were making the cd, its going to sound like you only have a big ass bass drum in your car. Thats going to get on anyones nerves. The only way that I can really say that your idea will work is if he does not put subs in his car and just runs a high power factory setup. And as far as the tweeters with the componet system goes, tweeters is nothing more than a speaker that catches those sounds that you would not usually hear. If you were to put just those componets in there and subs, then it will sound like a bigg ass bass drum and some cymbal and I think a stero is more than that.

If the speakers he's replacing are in the back they need to be all bass, the highs won't sound that good coming from the back. If he truly wants to envelope himslef in the music, he needs thump in the back (component 6x9's will do the job) and the highs right in front of him since they don't carry that well. The mids will be down low so he won't have to worry about the sound quality down there, as long as they can put out some noise. It's up to him what he wants, but 3 ways arent meant for power or thump, they're made to get the most out of a small amplifier (i.e. a stock cd player). Believe me, it might cost a little more, even on etronics.com, but you'll hear the difference. Never put highs behind you, especially when the mids won't be able to cover their own territory.

You took the words right out of my fingers LOL

Doug, I don't think bass will drown out the lyrics in a song if you're rockin' some serious tweets. Of course if you have crappy tweeters then yeah..

Off on a tangent here but I have a set of components (Image Dynamic) that I purchased about 5-6 yrs ago and they're crappy as hell. I thought if I paid close to 400 a set, it'd be in great shape but they're crapty. Components nowadays are way better, as most technology stuff are. I'm thinking of getting some components for my car and was contemplating on a set of Alpines, MB, or Diamond

Well I will just say this every one has their own opinion, But I think you should go with alpine. They are a great product, the only trouble I have had out of them was that my cone came loose from the rubber ring that holds it and the reason for that is because I was playin that lil john and you know how he blows stuff lol.

well guys he asked about replacing his rear speakers, nothing about subs or a new system. If he got ALPINE components it would sound good I tend to call these well and if he really wants good sound he needs to buy the amp and components. The cheaper route would of course be the 2 or 3 way speakers but the sound just isn't there. He won't need the subs in a small car, noone really does, especially if they have a component setup. Tweeters play more than just the top scale of highs, just to inform you, the ALPINE tweeters play all frequencies between 12k and 20khz, factory 2-ways typically play between 6k and 14khz. The 6x9's will play somewhere between 600 hz and 7khz. Everything will be covered save for the really low notes in lil john's song, and as long as you set the amp's internal crossover, and or the one supplied with the component system, to play in the safe range, nothing will blow. You can't set that on 2 and 3 ways without an external crossover, which costs even more than an amp, that's why they're cheap and that's why whatshisname blew his crap. BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION.

Alright, believe me, go with the component 6x9's and tweeter setup. The sound will be incredibly clean. I don't know what that other guys telling you, but 2 ways and 3 ways are made to be efficient, not clean and powerful. Don't get subs in a small car unless you just want to be annoying, I promise you there will be a day when you'll get tired of them and decide to sell them, believe me it's hard to unload used subs and amps for a decent price.

Pros and cons time.

The immediate cost of a component system will be a lot more than the 3 ways, but if you're like whatshisname you'll end up blowing the 3 ways and might actually find that you would have saved with the components.

Sound clarity is what component systems are made for and you're own preference can be customized any way you like by use of the crossovers included with the component system and the internal crossover in the amp that you'll need to purchase to run the 6x9's. You can't adjust the 3 ways without an equalizer and those generally cost as much as an amp.

Powerwise the components might take some getting used to and people might actually think you have a full system with subs and all if you tune it right and get a good brand like ALPINE. It'll be loud and full, even with a stock reciever and stock door speakers. The 3 ways might be loud but it won't sound as full and clean as the components. Think about it do subs have holes in their woofer cones, no so do you think there is a reason behind that, yes the 3 ways are trying to be too versatile. I don't care what anyone says, components are the only way to go.

I don't care what anyone says, components are the only way to go.

AMEN to that! :thumbsup: You two should stick around more often to share your interests and knowledge with the audio newbies. It gets pretty quiet in the audio section.

I'm still deciding on which brand components to get, for real. Alpine's are the best bang for the buck. They're cheaper than diamond hex s600s. Diamonds go for like 340 a set while Alpine's spx series go for like 240 or so? (These are for 6.5"component sets). My car has stock tweeters that are above my head, near the rear view mirror under a stock mesh. If I replace those with aftermarket tweeters, the stock mesh probably wont fit over the aftermarket ones. my interior is beige and most likely the tweeters will be black and they'll stick out like a sore thumb. Also if i placed the tweeters up there, they'll KILL my ears...i know they will. I was thinking of installing them in the panel in the foot area (not on the doors) but i dont like the idea of drilling holes in areas that are visible, fearing of selling the car and wanting to keep the component sets.

stickmonster(lol) for your info. I did not blow my 3 ways, I blew my sub and if you want to get technical I did not even blow it, it just came loose from the rubber connection that holds the cone. And before you say they were cheap, there are alpine subs. I do agree with you on one thing, componets do put out a kick ass sound, but if you have subs and stuff like that then thats just too much bass. And also as far as the original post, I told him what was a good brand of speakers to replace his factory with, and then I started talking about this subject into more detail by responding to your post. So get it right.

Okay you win, your'e right about everything the guy should go with 3 ways cause they'll sound like crap and will end up f*cking him over, then he'll buy the component system I suggested, hunt you down and ask you to reimburse him for the money he pissed off. Also the man only wanted info on rear speakers nothing more, he didn't say anything about a subwoofer at any point in time, he only wants rear speakers. I did say something about my subwoofers but I wasn't suggesting that he get any, I was just directing him to a good retailer for speakers of any type. I suggested, and I think TL agrees with me, that if he get aftermarket audio he just go with the component system....because they f'in rock. Piss on your damn 2 and 3-ways, they are crap! The reason I assumed you blew a set of 3 ways is because you didn't specify what you had BLOWN, and you seemed to be hung up on their supposed quality. Also, from what he said, he doesn't know how to install speakers at all which is reason enough to let a professional do it. Furthermore, if he gets the components and amp he'll have to let someone else do the install. I think I've helped this guy enough and may even continue to help others who refer to this thread in the future. I have no more comments, waste your time on another post again, I won't be responding to this thread anylonger.

Oh and TL the Diamond audio speakers might sound excellent, but when your'e looking at major brands like ALPINE, INFINITY, and DIAMOND you'll only be able to tell a difference if you have dead skin mat installed throughout the car, road noise takes away a lot from the music and kinda blends the quality of all brands. If you go to an audio store, you might be able to find a tweeter that fits in your factory grill and enclosure. As for the color, you might either paint the tweeters exterior to match or if the grill looks good, wrap a thick beige rubber band around the base of the aftermarket tweeter. If you would like for me to keep responding to questions in this area of the forum, I'd appreciate it if you could talk to someone about putting up a dumbcrap comment filter, to keep a certain someone from wasting our time.

Archived