2001 Rotor problems?

res0ggc7

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum, but looking for some info. I have a 2001 Accord Coupe EX-V6, which I love dearly with 45,000 mi on it. After the 1st year, my rotors had to be machined...this happened again after the 2nd year & 6 mos later, I have it in for a 3rd time!

Just an FYI...I do a lot of freeway driving...keep it on cruise control often & actually "cancel" the cruise rather than using the brake...so I'm not riding my brakes or doing anything which would cause the rotors to be machined often...

Is this a malfunction to the Accord? It seems many people I know have had this problem, but I cannot find any "official" word on the Honda.com site.

On a good note, to date each time I've brought it in to the dealer, they've never charged me for the work, which tells me there IS a problem they're not disclosing!

Thanks in advance!

Jodi

This is one of the very few weaknesses of Hondas. The way that the disc and hub/stud assembly is laid out, it is very susceptible to disc warpage if the lug nuts are not equally torqued.

You want to make sure that you use a torque wrench and manually torque the lug nuts after every tire removal. Especially after the shop has used an impact wrench to install the tires.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind that every time you machine rotors you are actually removing material - thus making them more and more prone to warping.

Also (as someone previously mentioned) make sure that anyone putting your lugs back on is not torquing them down too tight (ie, with an impact gun).

Archived