obd question

So im looking at this 99 civic ex it has a d16z6 and he said the whole system is converted to obd1 on the stock p28 ecu for tuning purposes. I don't know enough about this I guess. It just confuses me as to why he would convert to obd1. Anyone care to explain please

A Z6 was a very reliable and highly available engine from the early 90's. The Z6 produces almost exactly the same power as the stock D16Y8 engine that was installed originally in that EX. Most assuredly the stock engine blew up in one way or another. A Z6 swap is a direct drop in in that platform. Trans, mounts, axles, harness: everything bolts right up with almost no modifications aside from the ECU. Because the Z6 was older it was likely easier for the previous owner to find one in a price he wanted.

My opinion: if you are uncomfortable then walk away. If the fact that the engine was replaced isn't a big deal for you then go for it. Lots of 'older' Honda's have swapped engines. Not as a knock on their reliability but more because of their popularity and modularity. When certain things fail in one it is often faster and cheaper to swap out the entire engine rather than fix it because the local salvage yards are overflowing with perfectly fine engines for dirt cheap.

Archived