91 Honda Accord Door Stuck

flatzero

Hey everyone,

I am on my winter break from school, and this is the only time i have to work on my car. last month, when i drove from home (in the bay area) , up to UCDavis, i tried to open the door to get out, but i was stuck and had to get out from the passenger side. it realy sucks, especialy when it rains, and your feet are dirty and wet..... i called a few places, and one place says they will charge me 125, just to chech it out, and thats not incuding any labor charges.. or parts... more like an estimate..

what can i do? do i need any special tools?

THE SITUATION: the door locks pop up and down, but the door wont open even when u unlock the door with the key... or automatic locks.... so can anyone tell me how to get the door pannel off without being able to open the door??? or what else i can do to fix it??

thanks.... i want to get this headache overwith before christmas ;_;

thanks your any help u can give...

sledge%20hammer.jpg

Ha ha, I'm just kidding with you. Welcome to HF newbie, glad to have you. On a more serious note the problem your having with your car is quite common. I hear of alot of people having this problem. What happens is your door latch locks up and stays in the locked position? There is a faulty latch in the door panel which would need to be replaced because there is no real easy way to fix it.

I wouldn't take it to the place that was going to charge you to look at it. Do you know a trustworthy mechanic?

-Will

Whats up Flatzero. I feel your pain, The same exact thing happened to my drivers side door on my 1990 accord like 3 or 4 weeks ago. As you said, the door lock goes up and down but it still wont open. The bad news is that there is no real easy way to fix this. What i did was carry it to my local Honda dealership (Honda of Joliet) They charged me $75 dollars to open my door pannel, by doing this they had to pry off my door pannel from inside, basically the Door latch Assambly or something like that was broken so that had to be replaced, the price of the part including labor was about 358.00. The total cost, including the 75.00 was $423.00. If you want you could email me at patrick_86@hotmail.com and I'll tell u exactly what is wrong cause I still have my receipt.

sledge%20hammer.jpg

What happens is your door latch locks up and stays in the locked position? There is a faulty latch in the door panel which would need to be replaced because there is no real easy way to fix it.

-Will

he is right, that just happen to me. Do not, I repeat, do not take it to the dealership cause they will charge you like $75-$100/hr in labor itself. i took my car their and they quoted me a price of $550.....$50 for the part and $500 labor. I took mine to the guy who put my seats in and what he did was take my door panel off, and cut my lock off from the inside. once that was off, the door opened, and i just got another lock from another accord for like $10 bucks and just replaced it. if you go this route, you have to get the same lock from the same model.....ex, dx, and so forth!!

You're right Tyrone, if u could get it fixed cheaper thats good but I was kinda scared that any other person would mess up my power windows or something like that, especally since whoever was doing it would have to pry off the inside pannel which is a risk of the pannel itself getting damaged. I guess I just didn't want any other person but a certified honda meheanic workin on my 90 Accord. (4G)

Hello all, I am in the process of fixing mine but having trouble as well. I found this website. click here for help

But still after i drilled I could not get teh latch to unlock. So if anyone else knows anything.....

well with mine, he removed the door panel and used a dremel or some kind of saw and just cut right thru the latch. you may have to improvise, cause the only way is gonna open is to get it off, so you may have to be creative. use a hammer and screw driver, use blow torch, etc, just be creative if all else fails or pay the dealership a couple of hundred dollars to do something you could do!!

Finally got the door open! I was wondering if anybody knows where to get a new door latch or mechanism or whatever its called. Thanks!

yeah, i got mine from another accord from the junkyard, it was like $10 bucks!! how did you get it opened?

Archived