sway bars n struts

A friend of mine said that i should get some sway bars on my del sol. He had some on a car he used to have and he said it improved the stiffness and cornering alot. Since i did not see any post about sway bars i wanted to get your opinion on them. Also, which do you feel is a better strut, liquid or gas. Finally, what do you think i should do coilovers, sway bars or both.

sway bars compliment whichever suspension set up you have. you'll only feel the effects of them if you try to run from cops or something.. if you have aftermarket tires and always make fast/tight turns just to feel the "nonrolling" of the car then be prepared to pay for new tires often.

Depending on your Sol, you might have some stock ones already on there.

'94-'97 DOHC VTEC front: 24mm rear:15mm

'93-'95 SI front: 21mm rear: none

'96-'97 SI front: 22mm rear: 13mm

'93-'95 S front: none rear: none

'96-'97 S front: 21mm rear: none

Got to be careful on the size of your bars, cause you can really change how the car drives. IMO, if your just doing some daily driving, and you don't have a VTEC, just get some VTEC bars, Civic Si bars, or Integra GS-R/Type R bars and you're good to go. Keep in mind, if you have an S or an early model Si, you'll need some LCAs off a VTEC Sol, 99-00 Civic Si or an Integra GS-R, Type R. The stock LCAs on the S and early model Si don't have the mounting points for a sway bar.

i have a 93 si model. I also know that i already have a sway bar in the front because i saw it while i was taking my tires off one day. but you also said that it will change the feel of the car alot, does it really make a big improvement on the handeling of the car? do you guys even recomend geting sway bars? And also what are LCAs?

Depending on the size of the bar up front and out back you can either have your car understeer, neutral, or oversteer. It all depends on how you drive, and how you like your car to feel/handle. It can be the difference between night and day or it could be very minimal. Usually, the first thing you should notice is that the car seems more stable when pulling through a turn, as well as lane changing.

Stock, the Sol is so-so in handling. Throw on some bars and you got yourself one cornering monster. Progress had a Sol that was pulling 1.0g on the skidpad.

LCAs are Lower Control Arms.

well i know i have a sway bar in the front because i have a 93 si, so the lower control arm should have a mounting piont for the sway bars right? the only problem i see is mounting the rear sway bar because my sol does not come with a mounting piont in the rear.

Hmmm. Yes the LCAs you might need to replace are the rear ones for the mounting points for a sway bar. Of course, some companies have made sway bars for cars without the usual mounting points.

I spoke to a friend of mine today, who is a mechanic. I spoke to him about changing my rear lower control arms in order to put some sway bars on. He told me that he could probally just drill a hole in the lower control arms that i have now in order to mount the sway bars. Do you guys think this is possible and would you recomend doing that instead of replacing the rear LCAs?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived