Recommended transmission fluid types? Honda Accord 2000 6 cylinder

Jon17

Got a 2000 Honda Accord 6-beater.

Trying to do the 3.1 quart transmission fluid swap. What kind of fluid is OK?

The back of the Autozone Mercron V bottle says "All honda vehicles except those with continuous variable transmissions." Yet all my googling seems to point to ATF-Z1, Dex/Merc, etc. I called autozone and their computer didn't even recommend their own products.

What say you guys? Is the back of the Autozone bottle correct?

Honda ATF-Z1. You're done looking, buy the stuff and do work.

Not made only more. DW-1 is the direct replacement I think.

Either way none of the local shops carry DW-1. I'll buy a case of it off of Amazon. Top priority is what I should use for the next two weeks and whether or not I need to flush out the Mercon V I put in the tranny this morning.

Drain fill. No dealerships nearby?

Over an hour out of my way (2 hours round trip) I've got a crazy couple of weeks with work coming up. Just wondering if Castrol Import Vehicles will work. Anything from autozone. I'm ordering a case of DW-1 from amazon right now.

Here's the shortest way I can explain this...

If the bottle says it works in Hondas and you live in the US then it meets US fluid standards for your vehicle. It may or may not meet Japanese fluid standards, which are more stringent. Buy the Honda fluid and you'll meet all standards applicable to you vehicle.

The general rule on the Honda is that the OEM fluid is the only thing that should go in the transmission. There are some other field tested alternatives but they are not the normal off-the-shelf fluids from the corner parts store. You can cut costs in other places with less risk. You will need to obtain new one-time use aluminum crush washers too. Your local parts store should have those. Ignore the monkey at the counter if they tell you to reuse the old ones unless you want leaks. They usually cost $0.10-$0.25 each and are worth it to be sure you have a proper seal. Top fill and bottom drain may be different sizes on your Accord (they are on my Civic) and correct trans fluid service involves draining and refilling three times in short sequence so get a handful of the washers in both sizes.

You will need to obtain new one-time use aluminum crush washers too. Your local parts store should have those. Ignore the monkey at the counter if they tell you to reuse the old ones unless you want leaks. They usually cost $0.10-$0.25 each and are worth it to be sure you have a proper seal. Top fill and bottom drain may be different sizes on your Accord (they are on my Civic) and correct trans fluid service involves draining and refilling three times in short sequence so get a handful of the washers in both sizes.

Ya, I've already noticed I lost a quart driving 15 miles to autozone this morning. !?!?!?

Will definitely pick up a handful of washers.

Autozone Desk jockey looked up my car in her computer and it said this is ok:

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?catid=22&iid=272&loc=show

I ordered a case of Honda DW1 off of amazon and to my pleasant surprise it shipped next day for free. So I'm happy. Hopefully the lucas oil transmission will be fine for an hours worth of driving.

Archived