"Honda Certified" Used-Cars... what are the specifications?

Hi all,

I am in process of buying a honda certified 2009 civic. I have the 150 point checklist, which the dealer claims the car passes honda standards on all. However, I cannot find ANYWHERE an explanation of what is actually considered "honda standards" for each point.

For example, my checklist says A/C outlet "meets honda standards" yet does not seem to be outputting any power, and

My interior upholstery is "honda certified" but one of the seats has a huge cigarette burn in it.

Would be really helpful to find out whether this dealer just checked everything off without doing the check, but I can't be sure, in example of the interior, that the hole isn't an exception or something. I'm really nervous going forward with this car if there is the potential I already see they've lied about something things, but I can't be sure without the details. This is the only dealer I can get credit from so I can't just go somewhere else :(.

Please help.

Thank you!

This is the only dealer you can get credit from.

You kinda answered your question already and have come here to feel better about being stuck. Well, it sounds like the 150 point checklist is just a piece of paper, but you already knew that too.

Treat this like any other used car sale. Better, pretend you're buying from Craigslist. Check the car over so you know what you need to repair when you get it.

You probably already figured out they're not going to budge on price since you're financing through them. So, just make a mental list of potential mechanical issues but forget using that to move the price down.

Anyways, to summarize: you came here to feel better about being stuck, sorry but listen to your gut and remember, if you are being handed a raw deal, walk away. There's always options to transportation situations.

That's right, but I can't make a list of the mechanical issues I need to take care of without an idea of the expected standards, which was what I'm trying to get. I'm just trying to be informed of what the checklist is even supposed to mean-- since all it says is the points with no explanation of what the actual standard is. Anyone know where to find this?

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

We are a Honda dealer here in Boulder, CO and sell lots of Honda Certified vehicles. The question of what does Honda certified mean comes up frequently. We made a video here that talks about what it means.

Hope this can help.

Regards,

Fisher Honda

That..... is actually really helpful.

Normally we just get dealers passing through with spam-type posts trying to lure customers.

Thank you.

Do your research and don't just jump at the first offer.. If you can buy new.. go new. If not, do you know anyone who can take a look at the car for you instead? That way you know you won't be "screwed" in the end.. How reputable is this dealer your buying from as well? I've always bought used and had nothing but issues with all my cars.. and trust me.. I've had plenty. Just bought my first new car and waited for an Si too.. And it's fantastic. Not everyone can buy new and of course it's not my dream car by any means.. but do as much research as you can on the car you want.. is this an impulse buy? Find what you want before you make the move, IMO.

I just bought a 2010 Honda accord. I love it have found nothing wrong. I also looked at just about every lot around before deciding. When you really look you'll be surprised how many there truly are be patient when you find what you want you will know

Do your research and don't just jump at the first offer.. If you can buy new.. go new. If not, do you know anyone who can take a look at the car for you instead? That way you know you won't be "screwed" in the end.. How reputable is this dealer your buying from as well? I've always bought used and had nothing but issues with all my cars.. and trust me.. I've had plenty. Just bought my first new car and waited for an Si too.. And it's fantastic. Not everyone can buy new and of course it's not my dream car by any means.. but do as much research as you can on the car you want.. is this an impulse buy? Find what you want before you make the move, IMO.

This flies in the face of every economic adviser in the world. Due to the extreme loss in value that a new car takes in the first year of ownership and the proliferation of 1 and 2 year leased vehicles you can find excellent deals on barely used cars and let someone else pay for the gimmick of the new car with a warranty.

Don't be fearful of used. Don't believe cliches about buying new or used or whatever. Buy what you can afford and what you can afford to maintain. I can wrench on my own cars so my definition of afford is wider than others but that doesn't mean you should shy away from a used car, especially if you have an inclination to try and fix your own issues.

Archived