Keysert, Helicoil, or other

James Matteu

Years ago, I was changing the Timing Belt and when it came time to reinstall the Passenger Side Motor Mount the bolts, all three since I was fastening them in steps, wailed like beaten children. For the life of me I couldn't figure out when the threads were getting so hot. In the past I had been able to thread these bolts in by hand and finish them with the Torque Wrench. I ended up using a breaker bar and working them in back and forth.

I later found out the bracket is a $250 part and decided to put the whole thing off until I had to do the Timing Belt again.

Last winter, I started to hear an intermittent clanking and was never able to isolate it.

Over the last few weeks the clanking has become more and more frequent and so I took a closer look at the mounts after reading in a few places that C27s can make that noise when the torque converter is failing or when there is a bad motor mount; the old problem immediately came to mind.

This is what I found:

I ordered a new motor mount and new bolts, now I need to repair the threads on the $250 PS/Alt/Motormount Bracket that's only available from Honda.

Helicoil: the competition says they have a smaller outer diameter but I cannot find what Helicoil's OD is and will it matter? I read that these tend to back out from repeated use, can anyone confirm?

Keysert: 12M-1.25 has an OD of 16M and I'm wondering if they can hold the motor mount in place. Can it hold 40+ ft-lbs of torque?

Timesert: same as Keysert but with a different design, so which is better for my application?

I'm a bit frustrated cause I went to the part store and they only had Helicoil and then said if I've never used Helicoil I could mess up the part and have to replace it. I asked him how that was any different than what my situation is now and then he admitted to not knowing anything about inserts after I saw through his facade of BS.

Help, I need to know which is best for my application!

The bottom line is you damaged the threads on your accessory bracket?

Your car was a common one. Why not obtain one from a salvage yard? Knowing your tendency towards perfection you can have it blasted and power coated while you are at it.

Actually, the Accord V6 is not common and the Legend sporting the same motor has a different bracket though I haven't looked to see if the Legend bracket can be adapted, thanks for the idea.

No experience with Helicoil? Keysert? Timesert?

Thanks for offering to check but lets wait and see how the Helicoil turns out. A guy on another forum said he'd used Helicoil in the way I want to and had no issues.

I will provide an update as soon as the new bolts arrive.

I haven't used any of the items you mentioned. I am just a shade-tree mechanic. I am sure you and Billy both have a hell of a lot more experience under your belts wrenching than I do.

And the c27 wasn't as rare as you might think. I can't find the sales numbers on short notice, but they put that engine in there 3 of the 4 model years. Physical attrition has taken quite a number of them off of the road even if mechanical attrition did not. I have a coworker with one. Very nice car.

The old guys (white hair) Tool Shack said I needed to use Keysert or Timesert for diesel blocks and plugs. Also, Northstar V8 tend to need them as well. Really, the solid inserts are for high pressure applications. I told him it was going into a steel motor mount and would be torqued to 40 ft-lbs. They said Helicoil will do just fine. They then went on about how the same company makes all three and the brands are the financial entities that distribute the inserts.

Archived