Is it nuts to buy a 95 VTEC with 250K+ miles on it?

mjkadel

I'm thinking of buying a 95 Del Sol VTEC with 260K (or so) miles on it. He's asking $3000. The body and engine both look great, but am I just going to need to replace the engine any second? It has a DOHC b16a3 engine, completely stock.

The car is from Seattle, so I'm worried about rust. I'm certainly going to have my mechanic take a look first, and I'm going to make sure to go through this list as well: http://www.hondaforu...-common-issues/

Thanks for any advice,

Michael

Judgement call.....but, personally, I'd never trust it, and would be waiting "for the shoe to drop."

Could easily become a money pit.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers, Senior Sol

260k isn't terrible. Without more details $3000 is a bit on the high side in my book for the age/mileage though. Don't be afraid of Seattle rust. Seattle gets considerably less snow in the coastal urban areas then their latitutue would suggest. Most Seattle cars are less rusty then anything of a similar vintage from the Midwest or East coast.

After seeing it in person I wasn't super impressed with the interior. Some wires hanging out of the door frame, the roof latch handle missing, trunk release wasn't working, etc. I decided to take a pass.

Oh, the roof latches are a common break point and used to be found at a dealership for only a few bucks. Don't let that particular item scare you on a sol. The latch had plastic teeth and they shore off easily if the top wasn't perfectly seated.

Archived