b-16 trans

hi my name is tom, im building kind of a weird off road buggie useing a honda motor and trans. i just picked up a B16 compleat with trans i got one hell of a deal on it, even though it needs to be rebuilt.

in order for my build to work its a mid engine awd but with a manule disconect to the front axle, if the diff (idk what else to call it) of the stock trans is open when i diss engauge the front hubs it should just go crazy with the front drive shaft as i hit v-tech and rev limiter it will sound awsome. but with no go. in order for this set up to work ill need either a full spool or a sectectable locker. i think a lsd will work but im sure my setup would screw up the lsd.

my question is that is their a locker that i can buy for the trans? also whats my options as far as gears go?

well, you can get an LSD but those probably wouldn't work for what you are going for, there is no such locker that i know of, but i know 2 drag racers that have actually welded the diff (and you are right to call it a diff) but as for gears, check out gearspeed. i know there are others but those are really the 2 you would wanna look at. what axles are you using?

some guy years ago on pirate4x4 was building a Single cam rock climber for his kid. you might want to look into that for some ideas.

what kind of buggy are you building, rock, speed... ???

The type of buggy im building would be conisered a rock buggy but more of an all around buggy the axles i plan on useing are 1st gen toyota axles both the rears but one with steering knuckles and fliped upsidedown to allow for both driveshafts to spin the same direction instead of both spining counter clockwise with my setup one will be counter clockwise and the other clockwise the goal weight is under a ton as a 2 seater idk if ill be willing to weld the dif im thinking if i make it full time 4wd like a grand cherokee then i could get away with a tight lsd yet still would like a spool

the guy on pirate used some toyota axles.

with an LSD honda trans, then you can still get the diff function out of the toyota axles. sounds like a fun build. id recommend putting some crazy tall gears in the axles to work well with the short b16 tranny gears. you might want to look into d-series, about the same torque, less Hp, but also cheaper motors and trans with about even aftermarket support.

okay cool its still in the planing stage...i gotta rember how to use cad for drafting to design the tube cage and frame also its up in the air on what motor/trans combo i will be useing. the problem with useing a lsd in this set up is on a hill climb when all the weight is on the rear the front will lose grip and spin faster. i know that a lsd means limited slip diff. but the change between tire speed will be enough to stall you out with out you being able to re start and trying to back down hill climbs is really hairy. one wrong move and your rolling. id like to beable to run a seclectable locker that way i can use it as an open diff and hit the e breaks in the rear and do front digs. yet also beable to lock it in for all power going to all 4 tires. and as far as gears go this buggy will have 3 sets of diffs one before the drive shafts and then the two after the one before will act like a low range (i belive) but i am also trying to find the math equation for gears and road speed. but if im able to re gear the dif in the honda trans to something like 4.58's and then have 5.13's in the axles im assumeing that ill be toping out near 50 even with the short gears and high revvs from the b16. my understanding of it is with the two sets of diffs its like haveing twin transfer cases you use the front one as a splitter so you have high medium and low ranges. only this way ill have lowish range and the 5 gears to chose from would the d series tranys have taller gears in them? is their a website where i can see the gear raitos in the diffrent tranys? I under stand verry well that the path im trying to take is the lown wolf path more people just do a front engion with a trans transfer case and front and rear axles. i've always been the guy who wants the stuff nobody else is doing. and am willing to do the research to make it happen. as a trucker i make enough money to get it done and i have the fab skills to build a buggy. i just need a little help with this stuff that i have no idea where to start. this weekend i plan on going to a tune shop here in the area and i hope he will beable to help with the locker questions.

I can't say there isn't a locker for them, but ive never heard of one. its been a while since i was even looking at truck stuff but i beleive there is an air locker that goes on the end of chevy axles, so if you can't find a locker for the motor, maybe one at the wheels would work.

d-series does have taller gears.

http://www.knology.net/jediklc/gearratios.htm

Archived