My accord overheated today, seeking advice.

SOrry for the newbie post. my car overheated today as a result of poorly placing the radiator cap on.

I didnt drive too long before noticing the tempurature way above normal, almost to the top. my car didnt stall and still turns on and idles normally. I also checked the oil and it looks and feels normal. should i be worried about any unforseen damages done to the engine? I drive a 2001 honda accord v6.

I great appreciate any advice feedback you guys have.

• 2 months later...

If it overheats very quickly, and if it overheats while you are moving through the air, then it's not your fan circuit.This really leaves two possbilities. One would be a stuck thermostat, which can cause a pretty fast overheat, and the other would be a blown head gasket.There should be no mystery about this. Both a stuck thermostat and a bad head gasket are easily testable, sohere needn't be any guesswork.If you can get the thermostat out yourself, you can test it by placing it in a pan of hot water and watch it open. If it doesn't open, well there you go.For the head gasket, the best test is to pressurize the cooling system with a pressure pump, leave it pressurized and then extract the spark plugs and look for coolant on the tips of the plugs, or use a bore-scope to see coolant in the cylinders.Sometimes the head gasket will not fail in this manner, but instead either a bad gasket or a cracked head will force combustion gases into the coolant.You can buy a chemical that tests for combustion gases in your coolant.your mechanic should have been able to demonstrate to you scientifically how he knows the head gasket is bad.

Car Performance Chip

Archived