92 prelude won't start when cold just sputters just started it a c

ludedude25

Here goes, last week it was fine, fired right up went to store came back parked it. Saturday was a bit colder out, went out it would crank over and act like it was firing but would never catch. Kept it up till battery was almost dead! At this point I got in my truck moved it closer put on jumper cables to the prelude and it fired up immediately! let it run a few minutes and shut off, re started and it was as if nothing happened. So I checked battery and put on charger for 3-4 hours till it was fully charged. Next morning got in it and cranked over and sputtered like before :(. At this point tried to jump it again and did the same thing for a few cranks then finally started so i let it run like 2 minutes, I shut off, removed jumpers, hit the key and it fired right up again. Ran fine after that. Well I suppose you know what happened the next day. Funny thing it runs good once started like there never was a problem.

The battery is fairly new and holds a good charge, the rotor cap and button are less then 6 months old. Has nice bosch plug wires. Fuel filter was replaced within this year. It seems like it only happens in the morning when it's cold. Of course I can't say about afternoon cause it seems fine after it has ran. I can't try it somewhere warm as winter is on it's way and warmness is over.. Figured I'd ask see if anyone knows what on earth would cause this and help save some $ instead of guessing and replacing a bunch of parts ! I'm wondering if some sensor or module is failing? Is the extra juice from the truck helping it to fire? Second and third time it was a bit harder to start even when jumped.

Thanks in advance for any input!

• 3 months later...

Archived