94 Del Sol turning off after a couple of minutes...

bap1331

I was driving to the store today around 45 mph and all of a sudden my car pulled back and wouldnt accelerate for about a second, the check engine light, oil light, and seatbelt light went on. Then i kept driving and 5 seconds later the engine turns off and the check engine light stays on. I was unable to pull to the side for a couple minutes. I didnt attempt to turn it back on but i tried putting it on neutral to pull up on the nearby neighborhood to park.

After successfully turning it back on, i pulled into the neighborhood and called my brother to come and check it out (he is into car stuff, graduated from UTI) because i didnt want to damage the car since i didnt know what it was. He did an engine control systems check and got trouble codes (under the Del Sol Haynes Repair Manual):

Code 3 - Manifold absolute pressure; Told us to check the MAP sensor and circuit

and

Code 7 - Throttle Angle (TPS); Told us to check the Throttle Position Sensor

Could this be the main problem or could there possible be more?

My del sol has 115,000 miles on it. So its kinda young still. I got an oil change less then 2 weeks ago. I do it when it needs to be changed. I bought it at 101,000 miles. The previous owner who is my good neighbor has never had any problems with it. This is the regular del sol, not si or vtec. It turns off and has trouble accelerating after about 5-10 minutes of turning on and driving.

Archived