93 Del Sol Overheating.

Inflameswetrust

Hello, I'm new to this forum, looking perhaps for some ideas/knowledge from more experienced car enthusiasts ha-ha. Recently i took my 93 Del sol 100 mile drive well 2 days ago and began to have overheating issues i noticed my rad fan wouldn't click on. So i hard wired it to run full time just to get home. It ran at a cold temp. Once off the freeway it still continued to overheat never hitting the red but getting near it. Before hand i had Coolant boiling in the radiator which shot it to the overflow tank almost over the max. My radiator hose up top was hot and bottom cold. And radiator itself hot and cold on bottom. So i take my radiator and hoses out today and clean them up and they don't seem clogged nor sludgy. I also pop the thermostat housing cause i was changing my thermo-switch anyway. boil the T-stat it works just fine. I have a little watery puddle that just showed up right behind my front right tire. I smell and taste it doesn't have the consistency at all of coolant. Perhaps just condensation. Either way i'm still overheating almost any ideas? I suspect the water-pump, but not for sure Don't wanna pull things out to fix if doesn't need fixing. I don't remember bleeding my system when i put new coolant in i might have not sure. Could it be as simple as making sure all the air is out this time could that have been the issue? I had this issue before i replaced my T-stat as well. Much thanks to any helpful hands i get.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently had a lot of issues with over heating on my 93 del sol. here were some of the issues:

When i bought the car there were a lot of things that had quick fixes one of them being some time of sealant that was used to fix a blown head gasget. :/

Fan that was hard wired would turn off after prolonged use

Blow-by ( coolant would come out of my tail pipe) only when i traveled long distances tho.

Therm was broken.

my oxygen sensor was broken

and my timing belt was slipping

and my radiator look like it had only seen water not coolant. (rusted inside)

:) hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

hey,

I had the same problem and it turns out my timing belt went and I was stuck. Engine died, couldn't repair. I feel your pain.

If you have a need for a new, newer used (because car died) custom covering cover in gray, let me know, I have one for sale. Best offer. 1993 del sol.

-FD

Archived