MAP/TPS wiring

For a while I had been having trouble with my swap, I had an erratic idle and the car bogged under light acceleration. After a little inspection I noticed that that the wiring for the TPS on the throttle body had two cords from the same harness. They both have the same plug. Here's where I need help:

1) the way he (the guy I bought the car from) had it wired the car will sputter under light acceleration and idle erratically once it heats up. HOWEVER, coasting to a lower speed without changing gears will throw a C.E.L.

2)When I switched plugs the erratic idle and the hesitation went away but its throwing a code as soon as the car starts up.

Did I really fix the issue or is there something else im missing? I cant check the codes because my car is not OBD as its a 93 but it seems to run better.

Just in case some electrical wizard browses through this i have listed the wires as they are connected by sensor and color:

MAP SENSOR - 3 WIRES @ THE PLUG (Im fairly certain this is wired right.)

1)PEACH/YELLOW

2)GREEN/BLUE

3)YELLOW/GREEN

TPS SENSOR - WITH THE PLUG I SWITCHED, 3 WIRES

1)YELLOW/RED

2)GREEN/BLUE

3)GREEN/WHITE

TPS SENSOR - THE WAY IT WAS WIRED WHEN I BOUGHT IT .(ran crapty.)

1)SOLID GREEN

2)RED/BLACK

3)YELLOW/GREEN

The sensors use the same plugs so im confused. Anyone able to lend me a hand can have some of the spare d16 parts I have laying around if interested contact me through p.m. or whatever

If its running better than it was before I wouldnt complain a whole lot. Maybe you accidentally solved your issue although I have no idea why you would have an extra plug. TMK the map and tps share the same fitting but I don't recall ever seeing a third plug.. I need more information from you.

first off, you have an obd1 car, you can check the cel very easily... id recommend doing a google search for it (hint, its on youtube), as for the wiring, there is 2 possiblities, is there a plug on the firewall, or are they only on the engine harness? if there is a plug on the firewall, hook that into your map sensor no matter if the map is on the TB or on the firewall. second option is that you have them swapped.

id guess that the wires or the tps are outta wack...

first off, you have an obd1 car, you can check the cel very easily... id recommend doing a google search for it (hint, its on youtube), as for the wiring, there is 2 possiblities, is there a plug on the firewall, or are they only on the engine harness? if there is a plug on the firewall, hook that into your map sensor no matter if the map is on the TB or on the firewall. second option is that you have them swapped.

id guess that the wires or the tps are outta wack...

The guy at autozone told me he couldnt check the code on a car older than 94. I am about to try your suggestion from the guide I found about jumping the diagnostic connector. Ill update later to reflect my results. Regarding the wiring... The two sets of wires that were dangling near the TPS come from the same "bundle" of wiring coming from somewhere under the intake manifold.

UPDATE: thanks for bearing with me on this Raley - this is my first Honda. The codes my vehicle threw when I jumped the connector were; 3, 7, and 17. The corresponding errors being Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP Sensor), throttle position sensor, and vehicle speed sensor which I was already aware of (my speedo doesn't work either.) The thing thats f'ed up about the whole thing is that the car is running better now than it was before I swapped the wires near the TPS. I uploaded some photos of the two plugs. **Note - I didnt touch the MAP plug at all and it wasnt throwing errors before this just bogging under accel and bouncing idle** From here I guess ill just keep swapping the plugs til I get the right combination. here are the links to the pictures of the plugs:

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc374/b18b-Karl/?action=view&current=2011-07-05_161612.jpg

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc374/b18b-Karl/?action=view&current=2011-07-05_161612.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1208.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fcc374%2Fb18b-Karl%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D2011-07-05_161526.jpg

Lemme go reset the ecu, and try and swap some wires around or find a wiring diagram.

OK. reset ecu reversed the wiring back to the way it was initially. Not throwing a single code but its back to its same ol crap with the idle from hell and bogging issues. How is it possible that reversing the wiring and throwing those codes made my car run better? I dont get it haha.

both sensors send a signal to the ecu, they might be putting out the right kinda power range for the other sensor. redpepperracing.com has service manuals for 92-95 civic (thats the one you need) im pretty sure (its been a while since i saw a stock harness) that the longer wiring one (i think its yellow, red and some other color) is for the tps...

the speed sensor CEL is gone now?

Shoot. I'm back to square one. Maybe ill try having a shop adjust my cam gears for me a bit after my chipped ecu gets here. Thanks for not blasting me for being a noob haha I'm trying to join the honda world with class n my car is making me sad.

Speed sensor code only pops on when car is deccelerating in gear. Speedometer only works periodically when its raining, typically doesn't. I just took her for a drive with the tps code thrown and the car suddenly got balls. Will it damage the engine if I leave it this way???

Archived