lease payoff

e5569

My fiend has a 2008 Odyssey with 24k miles on it and is at the end of her lease. She called for the payoff and they told her it was 24500. It is an EX-L with RES. She has offered to sell it to me for that price. Is the payoff amount the final or does she have to pay a tax on it also if she buys it outright? Seems like a good deal for 24500 but to add 8.25% NY tax on it then have to pay it again when I purchase it from her makes it a deal breaker. Ever heard of a dealer agreeing to have someone come on and purchase it right from them on turn in at the apyoff price? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

First, is 8.25% the normal sales tax in NY? If so, it probably isn't the car tax. I live in TN where we have 9.25% sales tax (I know...) But the tax on any vehicle $3200 and up is 7%.

Second, I don't see why you and you friend couldn't just go into the dealership together and work it out with the sales manager. Your question is one best directed towards the sales manager of the dealership anyways.

Archived