HELP !! Intermittant Starting Issue w/1998 Honda Accord LX 4cy

I've ready through the forum topics and i didn't see a problem like this. This problem started Saturday when my car wouldn't start. Wife went to Publix and came out and turned the key and all she heard was a click. The starter was not turning over at all. Tried jumping and no go. Long story short, I removed the battery & the starter and took them both to AutoZone and to Adv Auto Parts and both of them said the starter & the battery were good. I saw it tested with my own eyes. I even took the battery to the Honda dealer & they tsted it and the battery shows good. It's consistently shows over 500+ CCA's & its rated for 490 CAA. it's also showing charged over 12+ volts every where I took it.

Stumped by the problem, I just re-installed the battery & starter and I made sure connections were tight including ground cables, and then my car started up first try w/ no problems. I can't explain it. Fast-forward to next day and i drop my daughet off to school this morn and make a stop at a store and come out and the same problem occured. Car wouldn't start. I turn the key and all I hear is a click. So I turned the key off and then turned it back on agin and the car started up no problems so my problem didn't go away. I am stumped at what could be the problem? Anyone have any thoughts here? Might the starter really be the problem even though it tested good at two different places

I haven't had any work done on the car at all except having two new tires put on the front of the car a week ago.

History of car

- had new Honda battery, new battery cables, & a new ignition installed by the honda dealer 3 years ago and battery cables still look good with no corrosion.

- never had any problems starting up since my new ignition was installed 3 years ago. it starts on the first try everytime.

Please help?

Next time it does it slide the car into neutral and try and start it. See if the park lock-out is malfunctioning.

okay I will try that for sure if it happens again. If this trouble-shooting step you recommended confirms that the park lock-out is the problem, what's the fix for that? Can I fix that myself or should I take it to an experienced mechanic?

i have no idea. i only drive manual trans cars which have no park lock. (but they do have a clutch lock). that would be a good one to consult the chiltons/haynes service book for. my guess is that it is something a novice could replace with basic tools in an hour or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey just letting everyone know I found the problem. It was the starter after all. I replaced the starter and I haven't had a problem since. It starts on the first try every time. Even though the starter tested good when I took it to AutoZone and Adv Auto Parts it was still bad. My friend that works at AutoZone said he's seen that before. Those starter tests aren't perfect. Everything just pointing back to the starter so that's why I went ahead and changed it.

Archived