synchros??

i have a 98 honda civic ex. 5 spd. So my gear grinds when i shift to 3rd. and only to 3rd at the moment. im pretty sure its the synchro thats giving out. this has been goin on for about 3 weeks. i have no other problems with the car. but today when i took it out, i noticed that theres some kind of rattling noise. or kinda like the noise u hear when wind goes through a hollow pipe....like a whirring i guess. idk, hard to explain. and it sounds like its coming from the area where my shifter/cupholders are. its noticeable when i step on the gas. otherwise if im in neutral or just gliding on speed, it doesnt do it, til i start to accelerate. does anyone know why it would start making that noise from one day to the next. it wasnt doing that last night and just started as soon as i started to drive this morning. would it have anything to do with the synchros??? im gonna be takin it in, but just wanna get ur opinion. thanks :)

Yes it can be the synchro. I would have the fluid flushed with a 50:50 mix of BG Synchro shift (costs around 17 a quart) and 5w30 (or Honda manual trany fluid) and see if that takes care of it. It is a rather common occurance and that is what we typically start by doing. More often then not it solves the problem. Should run around $25 in fluids and they will likely charge around 1 hour labor.

+1^^ on the rattle - exhaust shield is the likely cause...

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for ur input on the synchros. i'll have them checked for sure. and that rattling noise was my cat converter. apparently someone tried stealing it. it was hanging on by 2 bolts. i was wondering why the noise all of a sudden started happening. so i took it in and they had the bolts welded on. thanks again guys :)

Archived