Main Relay '98 Accord

KennyMike

I had my 6 cyl, '98 Accord Coupe towed to a shop after it would not start... they replaced the main relay and I'm not completely comfortable with the way I was treated. Would someone please review the charges and let me know whether or not they are appropriate?

PARTS:

Main Relay $83.77

LABOR:

Check no start condition (diagnostics) $89.95

Replace main relay $71.96

Thank you,

Ken

Wow thats expensive... dealer?

Diagnostic price seems fair,

autozone has the relay for 40. So with markup...

Replacing the relay is a bolt and a plug, but they probably pull the price from a program... which is a predetermand amount of time...

If they used a Honda relay P/N 39400-S84-003 then they list out around 43.50 from the dealer (at least in the area where I live). The diagnostics price is up in the air because you don't know what they did, but to spend an hour trying to trouble shoot something costs money... As far as the replacement cost goes it takes about 45 minutes to replace including getting the car into and out of the shop (down time for the mechanic) and the the actual replacement so your price would depend completely on where you brought the vehicle and what their hourly rate is, but that is not too bad. Overall not the best price but not too far out of the park (the part price is the most concerning)...

If you had it done at a dealer, call the same one but talk to the parts department, don't tell them you just had the car worked on and ask them the price for the main relay (give them your VIN to get the right one). If they come back much lower on the part price ask them to save you a quote, go there, get the quote and go to the service desk and find out why they charged you more. The customer gets retail/list and there should be no mark up for the service department on parts.

BTW - to H-E- double LL with autozone for a 40 dollar relay when you can get one for about the same from the dealer...

One more thing, shop around if you have multiple dealers in your area because they ALL have different mark up rates depending on the over head, so that can/will directly affect you.

BTW - to H-E- double LL with autozone for a 40 dollar relay when you can get one for about the same from the dealer...

my local honda dealer wanted $75 and 5 days for a main for my civic... autozone 40(get it tomorrow), oriellys 19 (instock)... which one you think i went with?

Archived