timing belt - need advice

s_frost

My accord has about 169k miles on it. The timing belt was first done around 82k, which means it's time for it to be done again, probably asap just to be safe.

I'm thinking about doing it on my own. I'd be learning a lot along the way (a goal of mine), but I know the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I have a few mechanic friends who could do it for me, but perhaps I'm being stubborn. I've done some of the more basic things on my car (valve cover gasket, egr, ignition coil, dist. cap, whatever), and I feel like I could follow the steps in my haynes manual with some patience (this next week is spring break for me), but I am a little concerned. A video I found online shows some guy using a blowtorch to heat up the balancer adjusting nut, and I don't have the access or the training for that. Of course, I could learn to remove the powersteering pump and alternator all the same and if I hit a road block I at least learned that much and can call my mechanic friends up to do the rest, but I'm really too inexperienced to have a solid idea of exactly what I'd be getting myself into. What suggestions do you guys have?

also, if this is something that can be done even, say, over the course of three or four days, would you guys suggest OEM belts and an OEM waterpump? what other parts might i need and should they all be OEM, too?

hey, ive got a 86 honda accord hatchback, my father and i just did the timing on mine. it really its all that hard, infact the hardest part for us was putting it back together lol (remembering where the bolts go). but we had got it done. if you could work on it with a friend that is a mechanic would prolly be best, my dads a mechanic so it help out, while we were down in that part i changed my water pump and my oil pump, replacing them as factory parts is normally the best way to go, unless your engine can handle the "aftermarket" equipment. also when taking off and putting a new belt on make sure you don't move the crank wheel or the cam, or it will become off timed.

also when taking off the parts, your should try cleaning in and around the areas that you can reach, makes it less messy when putting your car back together and if you need to go back in then its clean. i hope any of this helps.

mike

Of the hundreds of T-belts on your generation accord I have done I have never had to tourch the balancer adjustment nut. The number one hardest thing that you will first encounter is getting the crank pully bolt loose. Some come off easy with a 1/2in drive air gun, and others require a 3/4 or 1in gun to do the job. They can be very stuborn with a breaker bar if that is what you are planning on doing. The other thing that you must not do is get the balancer shafts out of spec. The front roller has a TDC mark on it so that is a no brainer the rear shaft has a mark on it, but you will have to use a paint pen to mark the block. There is an allignment port on the back of the engine near the rear shaft. It has a 12mm head bolt, if you remove it you can slide a no.2 phillips head or a 6 to 8mm long bolt in there that will hold its place. DON'T forget to remove it after the belts are re-installed otherwise you will destroy the engine if you crank it over...

Other notes that may not be in a Haynes manual is the front balancer shaft seal routinely leaks on that generation and there should be a U-shaped bracket over it/holding it in (a recall that should have been done a long time ago). If there is no retainer get one from the dealer (around 2 dollars), if there is one, remove it and replace the seal. Also, while you are in there you should replace the cam seal given the mileage on the car. The crank seal typically don't need replacement until much higher mileage then what you have, but always inspect it. I always recommend all Honda parts...

Having successfully performed the maintenance you already have done - a timing belt change is no big deal. Aftermarket parts work fine on mine for belt, idler pulley and water pump. Suggest at 160k miles that you replace the idler or tensioner pulley on the timing belt also.

Don't use a torch on the balancer bolt, use an impact gun. Unless you run into problems, you shold be able to do it in a day with time to spare.

Read through Turtlehead's post again - about all you need to know is there.

Archived