2001 Civic LX transmission information needed

sja10003

Hey Guys-

The transmission just went in my 2001 Civic LX unexpectedly this past friday. This puts me between a rock and a hard place and I am in need of some advice. The motor is in very good condition, with 120,000 miles on it. Cosmetically, the car has minor unnoticeable scratches just from the wear and tear of being driven. Interior wise, the drivers window likes to stick when it gets wet, there is small patch on the front seat from an old cigarette burn, and the ceiling lining seems to droop in a spot next to the rear window. The car was thoroughly detailed once a year. I am looking to sell the car. I am stuck between two options. The first would be to purchase a rebuild kit for the transmission which cost around $1000, and have a friend install it for $250 and sell the car from there. The second option would be to sell the car in the present condition it is in. I have looked at Ebay auctions and local craigslist ad's. The 01's with good transmission with mileage close to 120,000 are selling anywhere between $3,000 and $6,500, depending on cosmetics and how mechanically sound they are. I don't know how much how I would get if I sold the car in the current condition it is in, or if it is worth it to rebuild the transmission and sell it for what I can. Would the cosmetic problems I noted above have an effect on it? Which option would seem best to any of you if your looking to maximize profit? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

no idea if its an auto or manual, id look for a used tranny, swap that in and sell it. or keep it... ive gone through 3 different trans in my 92 hatch (i beat on my car a lot) but still... it will be cheaper then a new car.

no idea if its an auto or manual, id look for a used tranny, swap that in and sell it. or keep it... ive gone through 3 different trans in my 92 hatch (i beat on my car a lot) but still... it will be cheaper then a new car.

Im sorry, its an automatic. Keeping it at this point is out of the picture for me. I am just looking to sell it and make the most I can out of it. I am still looking for more reassurance on wether it would be worth it to swap/rebuild the transmission and then sell it, or just keep it as is.

Archived