Timing Belt

fxcarden

If using a Honda part we typically do them at 90K. I you use or have an aftermarket belt used then who knows, but I would not go more then 80K. Since it sounds like this will be you first T-belt replacement so 90K to 100K should be fine. Often times we will recommend people stagger their 90K and 105K services if they don't want to spend a lot of money all at one time. With that said often we will recommend doing the 90K service (all fluids, cabin air, engine air and spark plugs etc.) and then come back around 100K for the T-belt, drive belt and h2o pump. Especially since yours is a V6 and the cost of the plugs adds up fast people tend to like to split their payments between the two.

If using a Honda part we typically do them at 90K. I you use or have an aftermarket belt used then who knows, but I would not go more then 80K. Since it sounds like this will be you first T-belt replacement so 90K to 100K should be fine. Often times we will recommend people stagger their 90K and 105K services if they don't want to spend a lot of money all at one time. With that said often we will recommend doing the 90K service (all fluids, cabin air, engine air and spark plugs etc.) and then come back around 100K for the T-belt, drive belt and h2o pump. Especially since yours is a V6 and the cost of the plugs adds up fast people tend to like to split their payments between the two.

Thanks for the info. I took it to the dealer last week for an oil change and trans service ($120 for both). They presented me with recommendations.....rear brakes with new rotors for $449, timing belt for $799, and upper and lower radiator hoses for $350. I asked why the hoses were not part of the timing belt job (seems reasonable, since the t-stat is part of the timing belt job), and I got a shrug of the shoulders. On top of that, I will need 4 new tires soon, so I am not sure if spending almost 2 grand (doesn't matter if staggered or not) is worth it at this point. The car is running fine now, but little things are starting to go like the heated seat switch, etc. I guess will shop around for prices.

449 for rear brakes? Were they replacing everything on there?

Order the parts online and change them out yourself.

If I knew how, and have the facilities to do it I would consider it. I had the brake job priced elsewhere and they came in $100 cheaper.

Everywhere is cheaper then a dealership.

Rear brakes can be done by a complete novice in a driveway with a $49 ratchet kit in an afternoon. It can be done in an hour with proper tools, a garage and a friend who has done them before.

Same thing goes for a thermostat and radiator hoses. You don't even need a wrench for the hoses, just a pair of pliers to take off the old and a screw driver to install the new. The thermostat is just a couple small bolts and the cover pops off in 2 minutes.

Timing belt is a difficult job unless you are experienced. I can do one (and have done several) and I usually just bribe an unemployed friend to do it for me instead. Dealership wanted $700 to do my t-belt in my 98 accord, I found a local independent that did it for $400 and he replaced all the accessory belts, because they needed it, for the same quoted price.

Everywhere is cheaper then a dealership.

Rear brakes can be done by a complete novice in a driveway with a $49 ratchet kit in an afternoon. It can be done in an hour with proper tools, a garage and a friend who has done them before.

Same thing goes for a thermostat and radiator hoses. You don't even need a wrench for the hoses, just a pair of pliers to take off the old and a screw driver to install the new. The thermostat is just a couple small bolts and the cover pops off in 2 minutes.

Timing belt is a difficult job unless you are experienced. I can do one (and have done several) and I usually just bribe an unemployed friend to do it for me instead. Dealership wanted $700 to do my t-belt in my 98 accord, I found a local independent that did it for $400 and he replaced all the accessory belts, because they needed it, for the same quoted price.

I hear ya. I would tackle the hoses and t-stat with no sweat, but the other stuff is out of my league.

Well, good for you, I suppose? As long as you paid cash. Having an older paid off Accord > Making payments on a new TSX every day of the week.

If you have the money and it's within your means it's excellent. I love the TSX.

Well, good for you, I suppose? As long as you paid cash. Having an older paid off Accord > Making payments on a new TSX every day of the week.

If you have the money and it's within your means it's excellent. I love the TSX.

Well, I didn't pay cash, but 0.9 % financing is as close as it gets.

Archived