Sputtering real bad

drawk04

I have a 92 honda accord 2.2 with 271k.....recently, my car started sputtering real bad when I first started it, it went away after a few minutes. Now, the problem is occurring all the time. I checked the spark plugs and there is oil in 3 of them, probably a cracked plug. My fuel pressure regulator is fine, pulled the vacuum hose off and its dry. Would a cracked plug or numerous cracked plugs cause it to misfire all the time ? I'm doing a timing belt and changing the valve cover gasket along with a few other seals in a week. Any ideas ?

The oil is from leaking grommet seals between the valve cover and the spark plug tubes and because of a cracked plug. Remove the valve cover and replace the valve cover seal and the grommets (you can buy them as one kit). Pluu the plugs and allow them to drain. Clean the plug wires and replace the plugs since they are out anyway. You might be getting weak spark or arching due to the oil build up, so start by getting rid of that problem. I would next check the cap and rotor for wear. if the cap pin is worn they will often cause the ignition spark to partially jump to the wrong cylinder terminal, thus causing the car to want to fire on more then one cylinder and create a real rough idle or sputtering effect. Start there and see where it leads you. Post back if this does not help and we can go from there.

Archived