Accord 2001 EX Engine oil

vanterminator

Hi,

I was wondering if people can help me out diognose if this is a problem or not...

I have a 2001 Accord, EX 4Dr, 2.3L that i bought 8 months ago. Since then I have only changed the oil once, when i bought it. The car has put 1.5K miles since the oil change, maybe even a few hundred less than that. I didnt change the oil since I drive very little and right now only decided to change it since its been a few months and winter is coming (i live in minnesota so cold starts are a big deal).

Anyhow, I noticed today when I checked the stick that there was less oil than the top level, which is where it should have been (last oil change i checked that and it was at the top)...

now i would say its 1/4 (or just a tiny bit less) missing than it was when the oil was changed (when i saw 1/4, its a quarter of the distance between the top and bottom level on the stick)

I saw VTEC engines burn oil. I was thinking if my is an example of normal wear and tear or if it is too much?

Like I said, Ive not had the car for long, 8 months, and driven it almost 1.5k miles and this would be the second oil change since i got the car. the car doesnt have a leak, and i havent noticed any smoke from the engine.

do you think the engine has some problems? do you suggest i use some additive kind of stuff they sell at autostores, and if they even would help at all?

thanks for your help!

Less than the top hole is fine. Less than the bottom hole I would top the oil off. The difference between the top and bottom hole is a quart of oil so at 1500 miles a 1/4 less isnt bad. And our engines do burn oil, especially when you're in VTEC. So use VTEC less and drive more conservatively.

Archived