Idleling Problem

demon_belial

im not sure why I cant seem to get my idleling to be steady when is in park i belive it should be on 1,000 rpm when i ajust it to that it works fine for a bit but then it seems to get higher again. when im park and i press the gas and release the peddal it seem to take a bit for the rpms to come back down to normal they kind of stay stuck at 1+ to 2,000 rpms. sometimes it just wont come back down at all so then I ajust my cable again to drop it back to 1,000. ones its back to normal and i drive a bit they seem to be to low this time if i ajust the cable again to make them a bit higher for the rpms to be in 1,000 again then it starts to get stuck a bit to high agian. can some on help me out i allready clean the (IACV) is their a way to ajust your cable or something els thanks..

Have you cleaned your throttle body? And check everywhere because you could have a small vacuum leak to....But it more sounds like the butterfly valve to your intake could be getting stuck open......Have you also tried to adjust your idle by the IACV?

Have you cleaned your throttle body? And check everywhere because you could have a small vacuum leak to....But it more sounds like the butterfly valve to your intake could be getting stuck open......Have you also tried to adjust your idle by the IACV?

Your idle should be around 750 rpm with no load on the egine. With A/C, headlights etc. on then it should self adjust up to just below 1,000 rpm. As stated above manually clean the throtle body and throtle plate with throtle body/intake cleaner and a clean rag. Also clean the exterior pully/spring system and lubricate lightly with ATF. If that fixes the problem then great. I would also try disconnecting the throtle cable and lubricating it with a dose of ATF and work it back and fourth as the cable may be sticking. If it is craked replace it (they are not that expensive through the dealer). Also as stated above you could have a vacuum leak but that is less likely but worth checking. Follow idle setting procedures when setting the idle NOT just adjusting it to the rpm you want as you can mess up the system (shouldn't hurt the car but can cause cold idle issues etc.) hence the reason there is a procedure for setting the idle.

Also, if you want to check to see if it is the cable the next time it does it put your foor under the gas pedal and lift up on it, if the idle drops then it is likely the cable or throtle body pully that is sticking.

Good luck.

yea when i put my foot behind the gas peddal and puch up a bit it does go down to just below the 1,000 rpms im thinking its getting stuck some ware.

thanks I guess I'll be trying a couple of things to see what fixes it i have to find out though the correct way of adjusting the cable.

Archived