Stupid stupid stupid

Ashley91

Yesterday I forgot to put the damned oil cap on, drove it about 60 miles to work and back and all was well, noticed oil on the hood, replaced oil cap, drove some more and then this morning all kinds of weird stuff is happening. Brake light is on, no radio, a/c, radiator fan and in park or neutral car seems to want to start itself. Greeeat!!!

So I know the oil has short circuited something somewhere but I have no idea where to look or what to do other than pressure wash the engine, which I just did apparently to no avail.

Any suggestions on where to look/wash or something to spray on the wires??

Be careful when you power wash you engine, especially around the electronics.

Have you checked your fuses to see if any of them have blown?

Yep - no blown fuses! Disassembling all connectors and blowing them out with a compressor - still tyrying to start itself whenever I plug up the battery...freekin' weird!!

sounds like you need to do an exorcism.

Well, just now sitting in my car I realized my key is stuck in the start position. I guess I'd had a bit too much of the barley last night and didn't notice that as my key will come out of the ignition switch when the car is running and in the mayhem after starting it up and seeing the weirdness I never realized I didn't turn the car off at the ignition but rather pulled the plug wires. Hell, maybe this is the whole problem...that'd explain the radio and such not working wouldn't it?

Any clue on how to get the ignition switch to turn?

guess I'd had a bit too much of the barley last night and didn't notice that as my key will come out of the ignition switch when the car is running and in the mayhem after starting it up and seeing the weirdness I never realized I didn't turn the car off at the ignition but rather pulled the plug wires. Hell, maybe this is the whole problem...that'd explain the radio and such not working wouldn't it?

Any clue on how to get the ignition switch to turn?

Lemme get this straight. You got wasted and somehow yanked the ignition out of the steering column? I might if it's a factory radio as some had such anti-theft devices. So you can remove your key in the "II" position? That's isn't normal.

Lemme get this straight. You got wasted and somehow yanked the ignition out of the steering column? I might if it's a factory radio as some had such anti-theft devices. So you can remove your key in the "II" position? That's isn't normal.

No - never said anywhere up there I yanked the ignition out of the car! The key will come out of the ignition when it's running because it's worn out.

So - I discovered my ignition switch is screwed. I have a parts honda in the barn that has a good switch and key, but to remove this one I have to chisel away the breakaway nuts (or whatever theyre called) to ge the ignition out. If I have to do that with both cars how does the ignition stay in place when I switch them out'? Am I just better off getting a whole new assembly, or just the tumbler part?? Can i just hack the damned thing to start somehow? 304k miles I can't imagine it running much longer (10 years maybe..lol) and would really like to spend as little as possible...

but rather pulled the plug wires.

Sounded like it to me. Guess it was kinda hard to understand.

So - I discovered my ignition switch is screwed. I have a parts honda in the barn that has a good switch and key, but to remove this one I have to chisel away the breakaway nuts (or whatever theyre called) to ge the ignition out. If I have to do that with both cars how does the ignition stay in place when I switch them out'? Am I just better off getting a whole new assembly, or just the tumbler part?? Can i just hack the damned thing to start somehow? 304k miles I can't imagine it running much longer (10 years maybe..lol) and would really like to spend as little as possible...

When I replaced my ignition switch I changed just that - the switch. Not the tumbler or anything else. I for one did not want to have two separate keys. To bypass the breakaway screws, the former owner broke off one of the clips on the switch. I didn't want to remove all that crap too, and I didnt have the tool for those breakaway things so I did the same with the new switch. Turned out to be a short, simple job that way.

Archived