2004 Honda Odyssey

I have some questions for everyone regarding a 2004 Honda Odyssey. I am new to this site so I wanted to bounce some questions off of anyone with a good answer.

1. The clock in my car doesn't light up at night when you turn on either the headlights or parking lights which would be the dashboard lights. So, when you turn the knob to turn on the dashboard lights on, the digital clock doesn't light up. The clock works but at night you can't see the time. Is it suppose to light up or is the bulb burnt out?

2. The DVD unit which is mounted in the inside of the car, nothing shows up on the LCD window. You don't see any words on this unit like play or stop or pause. The DVD unit works and you can watch movies on the pull down screen. The remote doesn't work either when you point the remote at the DVD unit in the ceiling. Any idea's on how to fix this?

3. How does the average non mechanic perform any tune ups on the Honda Odyssey? I don't want to spend a fortune to have the dealership or a garage perform a simple tune up of car. Yes, I am aware that having a dealer or a garage do it is better than doing it myself. What is involved in tune ups besides the oil change, changing the fluids, etc.....? Does changing the Spark plugs help to extend the life of the engine?

thanks.

Gee, what good is this site if nobody replies with ANY suggestions? Like I am the only Odyssey owner with these problems? At least somebody answer Q1 and Q2. Anyone??? So, everyone that owns a 2004 or 2005 Honday Odyssey doesn't have a clock problem or a DVD problem.

Come on people!

I have some questions for everyone regarding a 2004 Honda Odyssey. I am new to this site so I wanted to bounce some questions off of anyone with a good answer.

1. The clock in my car doesn't light up at night when you turn on either the headlights or parking lights which would be the dashboard lights. So, when you turn the knob to turn on the dashboard lights on, the digital clock doesn't light up. The clock works but at night you can't see the time. Is it suppose to light up or is the bulb burnt out?

2. The DVD unit which is mounted in the inside of the car, nothing shows up on the LCD window. You don't see any words on this unit like play or stop or pause. The DVD unit works and you can watch movies on the pull down screen. The remote doesn't work either when you point the remote at the DVD unit in the ceiling. Any idea's on how to fix this?

3. How does the average non mechanic perform any tune ups on the Honda Odyssey? I don't want to spend a fortune to have the dealership or a garage perform a simple tune up of car. Yes, I am aware that having a dealer or a garage do it is better than doing it myself. What is involved in tune ups besides the oil change, changing the fluids, etc.....? Does changing the Spark plugs help to extend the life of the engine?

thanks.

You are probably the only person to visit this site with an odyssey in months. It is not so much that no one wanted to offer suggestions as no one has experience with an odyssey.

#1 I have no idea. I have never been within 10 feet of an Odyssey, let alone in it to see the clock you speak of. If it did work, and now it does not, then it is probably the backlight burned out. Pull the clock assembly out and see if it has a replacable bulb, otherwise call Honda or your local salvage yards to source a replacement assembly. It probably isn't a fuse or you would notice multiple things with missing lights that are tied to your headlight operation.

#2 Car AV equipment tends to be sealed assemblies without user serviceable parts. If you want the display to work correctly you will likely need to replace the entire unit with an OEM replacement (BIG $$$) or check out your local Car Audio and Video shops for a suitable aftermarket unit.

#3 Car service manuals are available to purchase in almost every auto parts store in your area. NAPA, Autozone, Advance and so on will all have them for $10-$20. If yours is not in stock they will order it. Most of them have the basic service intervals listed in the manual and give step by step instructions on how to perform the tasks and exactly what tools are required. Chilton's are a good initial service manual. Helms are considerably more in-depth but also cost quite a bit more.

Oh oh oh! Just a friendly reminder/ check. Make sure your Odyssey doesn't have a maintanence minder on it!!!

Meaning when you need your oil changed or are due for a service, its the computer that tells you that you need that. I'm not sure if your year model would have it but double check because if it has it, sometimes you need the factory Technicians to reset it so your car doesn't think it's not working right when it actually is.

You do not need the techs to reset it for you. On older models you just put the ignition key in a slot in the cluster to reset the minder. On newer models it was a sequence with turning the key and pressing the odometer button on the dash. Your owners manual should have the info on how to do it and a google search on that topic would net you the answer in about 5 minutes.

• 2 years later...
"...1. The clock in my car doesn't light up at night when you turn on either the headlights or parking lights which would be the dashboard lights. So, when you turn the knob to turn on the dashboard lights on, the digital clock doesn't light up. The clock works but at night you can't see the time. Is it suppose to light up or is the bulb burnt out?"

pfisher, Did you ever find the problem with the clock lamp? I've got an '04 with the same problem.

Archived