1986 Civic Reverse Switch Broken?

1986DXOwner

Hey HF,

Yesterday I noticed that when I pop my 5-speed honda into reverse, the reverse lights dont actually turn on. Originally I figured, "Oh, its just the bulbs". So I tested them and they were working just fine. Now I'm puzzled. I am assuming that there is a switch somewhere near the transmission that controls the lights. But I have no idea where to look for it, and where I might get a new one.

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

My totally random guess is that the lights come on via toggle switch inside the shifter itself. Alas, I really have no idea, if it were me that is where I would check first if I didn't know otherwise.

By boot that would be the seal around the shifter base, not the interior trim material. And it is quite possible you will need to disassemble much of the shifter assembly to get to that toggle. This is one repair where the service manual would be very helpful.

Archived